Why might good manshons linger on Real Estate Websites?

Stuart@Japan
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Why might good manshons linger on Real Estate Websites?

Post by Stuart@Japan »

I been trying to get a feel for the manshons in the Kansai area using the common/popular Real Estate Information websites. More than a few times I have noticed that some listings appear to be reasonably priced, immediately available, well-located and in a well-maintained building, yet the listings have been lingering for several months.
Any ideas why that might be? Could the seller be gaming the system for the best offer?
CluelessToshika
Regular

Re: Why might good manshons linger on Real Estate Websites?

Post by CluelessToshika »

One possibility is that there's something in the immediate surroundings which is putting people off buying, such as major ongoing construction.

I remember back when I was looking for a rental manshon, I found one which looked perfect in a fashionable location for a surprisingly reasonable price, but checking out the neighbourhood it turned out I would have enjoyed the sights and sounds of another, much larger manshon going up in very close proximity (and IIRC once completed the new building would then have blocked out most of the view or something).
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

The market has faced a slight downturn post BOJ hike/Yen strengthening in some areas.

It is impossible to speculate without knowing more about the area, age of the structure, structure type, associated ownership fees, etc.

Something as simple as the rescheduling of commuter rapid trains at the local station can make an apartment less valuable or desirable.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

There's also the possibility it's a bait listing. You call the real estate agency and they say oh sorry that one has been sold but we have these other ones to show you.
captainspoke
Sensei

Post by captainspoke »

Yes, bait-listing. Leave something attractive posted, and when someone calls, divert them to something else.