Emaxis slim all country

KCLenny
Veteran

Emaxis slim all country

Post by KCLenny »

Hi all, don’t actually understand much about markets or anything complicated but I’ve noticed my NISA (emaxis slim all country, done with Rakuten) is currently crashing.
I know it’s supposed to be a set and forget type thing but I’m a bit worried I’m missing something as I seem to be losing money. Is this normal at the moment and it’ll just correct/balance itself in the future?
I don’t really want to keep putting money in every month if it’s just going to continue going down indefinitely.
Please just reassure me everything is going to be ok and that I’m just panicking over regular market movements or something.
YouMeWeThem

Re: Emaxis slim all country

Post by YouMeWeThem »

It's going to be okay, you're just panicking over regular market movements or something.
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

Thanks. I figured. Just since I started a few years ago I haven’t seen a decline like this yet so it’s spooked me a bit.
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

Not selling during a downturn is the most important part of long term investing.

If you sell, you lock in the losses, but, history shows, if you ride it out, the market always goes up.
On the plus side, you're now getting more for your new investments, which can grow more in the future.

https://jlcollinsnh.com/2012/04/19/stoc ... s-goes-up/
beanhead
Sensei

Post by beanhead »

KCLenny wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 12:56 am I don’t really want to keep putting money in every month if it’s just going to continue going down indefinitely.
It will not go down indefinitely.
Do you prefer buying things when the price is high or low?

For those in the accumulation phase, we should actually prefer it when the market crashes as we can buy more.

The time to cry would be if this crash happens when you need that money to pay your bills after stopping working.
There are strategies to reduce this risk, of course. But something to worry about when nearing retirement.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

KCLenny wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 12:56 am Hi all, don’t actually understand much about markets or anything complicated but I’ve noticed my NISA (emaxis slim all country, done with Rakuten) is currently crashing.
I know it’s supposed to be a set and forget type thing but I’m a bit worried I’m missing something as I seem to be losing money. Is this normal at the moment and it’ll just correct/balance itself in the future?
I don’t really want to keep putting money in every month if it’s just going to continue going down indefinitely.
Please just reassure me everything is going to be ok and that I’m just panicking over regular market movements or something.
Right now everything is on sale so when you buy every month you’re getting everything slightly cheaper. If you’re young, this is what you want. Some
Of us have been through black Monday, a gulf war, 9/11, financial crashes, and pandemics. Relax. It’s all part of the Looooooooong term game. If we sell, we’d only lock in the losses. So pick up a book, get a cup of coffee, and keep putting in. Things are cheap now, and they’ll come back. A quick google at Charts shows you everything goes up eventually, even if that’s just by inflation.
It’s all noise, it’s what the news outlets and YouTubers and papers do.
I’ve got about 10 years to retire, and everything is way above my pay grade and I can’t do anything about it. The stock market isn’t the high street. So we can still enjoy our cinema, coffee, and wait for time to do its magic.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
cocacola
Veteran

Post by cocacola »

"Past performance is not indicitive of future results", but a similar drop happened to the eMaxis Slim All Country in 2020.

Who knows what the future holds (if the price will drop even more than in 2020, or the recovery will be similar, etc.), but there is a history of the fund gaining back the losses, and then some.

KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

Thank everyone.
This has really reassured me. I started the NISA right after 2020 crash so everything had been going gravy since then so hadn’t really mentally prepared for it to drop so much the last few weeks.
I’ll keep everything as normal.
Although fortunately I have some extra money I was planning on making a top up purchase with as have no other plans for it. So seems like a good time to buy by what everyone is saying here
beanhead
Sensei

Post by beanhead »

Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.