Carrying forward stock market losses

Victor12

Carrying forward stock market losses

Post by Victor12 »

Unfortunately, I have made significant losses recently on my stock market investments here in Japan. Is it possible to use this losses to offset my taxable income or carry them forward? Thanks!
TokyoWart
Veteran

Re: Carrying forward stock market losses

Post by TokyoWart »

For Japanese taxes you can use capital losses for up to 3 years to offset capital gains or dividend income. Unfortunately the losses can't be applied to earned income.
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

Just sharing the other thread viewtopic.php?p=40149
beanhead
Sensei

Post by beanhead »

Victor12 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 12:51 pm Unfortunately, I have made significant losses recently on my stock market investments here in Japan. Is it possible to use this losses to offset my taxable income or carry them forward? Thanks!
Paper losses?
Or you have sold for a large loss?
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
captainspoke
Sensei

Post by captainspoke »

Foreign losses can be used against gains here in the tax year they happen (and vice versa), but foreign losses cannot be carried forward.

(I think I've got that right.)
Victor12

Post by Victor12 »

Thank you, everyone. Unfortunately, I panicked and took large losses. So from the comments, I understand that these losses can be carried forward for three years and be used to offset dividend income.
I would really appreciate if someone could tell me the procedure for doing it.
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

If you have the capital losses in a "Tokusei" account then the brokerage automatically uses as much of them as possible to offset the taxes you paid on dividends that year. My experience is that they settle that up sometime in December. The brokerage does not help you rollover the unused losses to the following year and you will need to do that by filing a 確定申告 in the following year.