Simple Q&A - NISA

Teflon
Veteran

Re: Simple Q&A - NISA

Post by Teflon »

RetireJapan wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:26 pm As long as you manage to leave it alone and keep adding to it regularly, in ten years you'll be amazed.
goodandbadjapan wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:30 pm I check far more often than I should and am now at a stage where the drops can look worryingly big. But don't worry - it's swings and roundabouts and you get big upswings too! Don't panic and carry on investing when you can. If you wait long enough it will come back up.
Thanks for the encouragement! I'm definitely in it for the long-haul. In fact, I never check my US 401k which is just a target retirement fund because it's so boring and predictable. If the S&P crashes it will be all over the news and I might check it in that case but otherwise....no. As for NISA, it's my first time investing in individual companies and I feel there is a stronger emotional attachment. Hence, I'm often tempted to see which companies in my portfolio are doing poorly (NKG Spark Plugs... ugh) and which are doing well (Japan Tobacco... and I don't even smoke!).
pfdsa
Veteran

Post by pfdsa »

KCLenny wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:41 pm
RetireJapan wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:12 pm
MisoSoup wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:59 pm Dude, everyone has had enough of your dopey victim shtick. Wind your neck in. Shape up or ship out and all that.

Bonehead and his little friends will no doubt defend your honor with their mock moral outrage...
Sadly MisoSoup is no longer with us. I was hoping the warning earlier would work, but I am once again asking everyone to be nice here.

Please see the rules if you are not sure about how the forum works: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1175
I’m sorry it came to that. I don’t even know what I did to annoy someone so much.
I work as hard as I possibly can. So I don’t know what else I can do. Me and my wife have argued a little because of it as I have encouraged her to try working even just a little but she’s so anxious about it she will literally get into a panic about it.

I definitely think a section for being thrifty would be a good idea. Ways and places to save money (in terms of discount shops or points systems etc), or make the most of the money you have.
A "thrifty" section would definitely be a good idea in my opinion, and I would be more than glad to write something on it since I'm one of those living on a low-wage (combined wage of 310,000 yen after taxes per month for 2 people). Perhaps Ben has an opinion on it?
fools_gold
Veteran

Post by fools_gold »

pfdsa wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:12 am A "thrifty" section would definitely be a good idea in my opinion, and I would be more than glad to write something on it since I'm one of those living on a low-wage (combined wage of 310,000 yen after taxes per month for 2 people). Perhaps Ben has an opinion on it?
I'd like to see something like that too...or a "money-saving tips" section.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Happy to add new sections as needed -what would it be called and where would we put it?
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Established
Veteran

Post by Established »

RetireJapan wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:00 am Happy to add new sections as needed -what would it be called and where would we put it?
Frugal Finance?
pfdsa
Veteran

Post by pfdsa »

Established wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:21 am
RetireJapan wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:00 am Happy to add new sections as needed -what would it be called and where would we put it?
Frugal Finance?
I like how it sounds!
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

Established wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:21 am
Frugal Finance?
I’m good with the alliteration!
John_conner
Regular

Post by John_conner »

zeroshiki wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:53 am
John_conner wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:47 am
zeroshiki wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:36 am

In that case, opening regular NISA (5 years tax free, 1.2M JPY limit annually) might be what you're looking for. Tsumitate NISA is for 20 years with a 400k max per year. If you think you can go over 400k a year and you're not sure if you're in Japan long term, regular NISA would be the safe bet.

Many thanks

Can the 5 years NISA only be done once?

Would even 10 years in the ideco be worth it?

Thanks
Regular NISA (and New Regular NISA) is set to end in 2028. If you buy NISA now and the 5 years are up in 2027, you can rollover to a fresh NISA using your 2027 allocation.
iDECO doesn't allow you to withdraw your money out until you're 60 so even if you leave Japan in 10 years, your money would just be sitting in the iDECO account with no way for you to pull it out (easily).
Hi,

So if I start a 5 years NISA now, when that is up I can start another 5 years?
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

John_conner wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:34 am
So if I start a 5 years NISA now, when that is up I can start another 5 years?
So in 2023 there will be New-NISA. We're not exactly sure what the exact rules will be other than it will have a 1.22M limit and it runs until 2028. Everyone assumes it will work the same way as current NISA which means when your current NISA is up in 2027, you will be able to rollover to new NISA with the base value being the amount you bought into NISA in 2022.
thejunman

Post by thejunman »

I'm completely new to investing so I have a few (very basic) questions before I decide which broker and which type of NISA account I want to sign up with:

What is the difference between a "normal trading account" and a NISA account?

I keep reading that after the 5 or 20 years tax-free period is over there is an option to move it into a normal trading account but I'm not completely sure what one is.

Also, is it possible to transfer between an ordinary NISA account and a Tsumitate NISA account?

I'm planning on starting off with a Tsumitate NISA account and then transfering to an ordinary NISA account in the future as I'd like to choose my own stocks and ETFs. I realise I cannot hold both at the same time but is this still the case if they are with with different brokers ie one with Rakuten and another with SBI?
English instructor from the UK living and working in Tokyo.

Completely new to the whole investment game so forgive my stupid questions. :lol: