Simple Q&A - NISA

RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Simple Q&A - NISA

Post by RetireJapan »

Teflon wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:16 pm Yes, I've been going mad staring at my NISA portfolio lately. I maxed out this years allocation in June and now all I can do is sit and watch it lose money. In early July it peaked with a gain of around 35,000 yen but now it's down about 12,000 yen. I keep telling myself to stop checking and just ride it out for a year but I can't help myself. Must be morbid curiosity. :lol:
As long as you manage to leave it alone and keep adding to it regularly, in ten years you'll be amazed.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Post by goodandbadjapan »

Teflon wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:16 pm
zeroshiki wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:52 am Stock market took a dive this past week. Best to just do a tsumitate and leave it or you'll go mad staring at stock charts.
Yes, I've been going mad staring at my NISA portfolio lately. I maxed out this years allocation in June and now all I can do is sit and watch it lose money. In early July it peaked with a gain of around 35,000 yen but now it's down about 12,000 yen. I keep telling myself to stop checking and just ride it out for a year but I can't help myself. Must be morbid curiosity. :lol:
I check far more often than I should and am now at a stage where the drops can look worryingly big. But don't worry - it's swings and roundabouts and you get big upswings too! Don't panic and carry on investing when you can. If you wait long enough it will come back up.
MisoSoup

Post by MisoSoup »

KCLenny wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:21 pm I don’t know if this is normal, but I now have less money in my Tsumitate NISA than I have deposited. (Deposited ¥30,00, now about ¥29,500). Is that normal? I’m on emaxis slim all country. Have I just started it at a bad time? Or do I seriously need to think about pausing it for a while?
Dude, everyone has had enough of your dopey victim shtick. Wind your neck in. Shape up or ship out and all that.

Bonehead and his little friends will no doubt defend your honor with their mock moral outrage...
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

MisoSoup wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:59 pm Dude, everyone has had enough of your dopey victim shtick. Wind your neck in. Shape up or ship out and all that.

Bonehead and his little friends will no doubt defend your honor with their mock moral outrage...
Sadly MisoSoup is no longer with us. I was hoping the warning earlier would work, but I am once again asking everyone to be nice here.

Please see the rules if you are not sure about how the forum works: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1175
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

RetireJapan wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:12 pm
MisoSoup wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:59 pm Dude, everyone has had enough of your dopey victim shtick. Wind your neck in. Shape up or ship out and all that.

Sadly MisoSoup is no longer with us. I was hoping the warning earlier would work, but I am once again asking everyone to be nice here.

Please see the rules if you are not sure about how the forum works: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1175
I appreciate your quick action.

I am speaking generally here, but I think it is worth mentioning that the hostility those at the low-income threshold receiving when asking for financial advice causes many to shy away. When they are often the most in need of guidance.

A lot of the resources and material on investing assume an average middle-class income.

Perhaps we should create a separate forum page focusing on low-income. Similar to Reddit's "poverty-finance" but with a better name.

Encouraging people to contribute at least 5000 yen a month to iDeco, building emergency funds, cutting expenses etc.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

I don't think having an actual separate section is productive since it would just make people even more shy about their situations (oh you're posting in the slum section of RJ?) but I think we could have a thread with recommendations or something (A "Start here" thread maybe?).

Like, for example, I think point churning is an underrated thing that most people don't take advantage of enough. Maybe we could have a thread for that.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

zeroshiki wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:10 pm I don't think having an actual separate section is productive since it would just make people even more shy about their situations (oh you're posting in the slum section of RJ?) but I think we could have a thread with recommendations or something (A "Start here" thread maybe?).

Like, for example, I think point churning is an underrated thing that most people don't take advantage of enough. Maybe we could have a thread for that.
That’s a good idea about points, something I know very little about beyond the supermarket schemes.

I also agree that, well intentioned as Kanto’s suggestion is, it may be counter productive. I think the overwhelming majority on here have no interest in being unpleasant, and Ben deals swiftly and correctly with those who can’t help themselves.
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

RetireJapan wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:12 pm

I’m sorry it came to that. I don’t even know what I did to annoy someone so much.
I work as hard as I possibly can. So I don’t know what else I can do. Me and my wife have argued a little because of it as I have encouraged her to try working even just a little but she’s so anxious about it she will literally get into a panic about it.

I definitely think a section for being thrifty would be a good idea. Ways and places to save money (in terms of discount shops or points systems etc), or make the most of the money you have.
Yossarian
Regular

Post by Yossarian »

KCLenny wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:41 pm So I don’t know what else I can do.
Unfortunately, in your situation increasing household income is the most important thing as it may not be possible to reduce expenses much further.

Would an online job your wife could do at home distress your wife too? I believe another board member was talking about DMM eikaiwa recently - low hourly rate but seemed stress free. There may be similar jobs suitable for her.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

zeroshiki wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:10 pm I don't think having an actual separate section is productive since it would just make people even more shy about their situations (oh you're posting in the slum section of RJ?) but I think we could have a thread with recommendations or something (A "Start here" thread maybe?).

I have to agree with the idea of A "start here" thread.

I just finished the book called "The richest man in Babylon". The best advice in the book is about procrastination. And if someone starts with 5000 yen a month in an IDECO,and 5000 in a blah blah in a NISA and something for the kids that's all mounts up and is Thee start. Especially for those ALTs who earn less than 250,000 a month.

Could include some titles for the beginner.

1) the millionaire teacher.
2) The richest man in Babylon. A great read and wish I read it at school.It should be on every school curriculum,especially the original English version instead of Shakespeare.(which I've never read anyway)
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.