Timing the market

This is a safe space to ask any questions, no matter how basic.
ricardo
Veteran

Re: Timing the market

Post by ricardo »

I have no choice about my company pension being in the UK. It’s where I earned it and it cannot be moved.

So, for me, timing the ‘market’ is about timing the exchange rate. Equally difficult.

I’ve decided not to worry and just pull the money every month as planned. Sometimes I’ll get more. Sometimes I’ll get less. I have a worst case scenario - which we are currently quite close to due to Brexit! - but it will still pay the bills and buy food. I just might have to have less holidays a year or go to Jolly Pasta instead of [insert name of posh restaurant] until Sterling recovers... And, if it doesn’t, well Jolly Pasta’s still better than the pie shop I used to go to in Manchester all those years ago....
eyeswideshut
Veteran

Post by eyeswideshut »

OwenM wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:58 am As an Irish man myself I'm wondering how do you access those Irish domiciled ETFs from Japan? (I'm currently n SBI & Rakuten)
I use DBS Vickers in Singapore. Can't speak for SBI but I know Rakuten does not offer access to the LSE unfortunately. However, any fund that is offered in Ireland likely has an equivalent fund available on the NYSE.
eyeswideshut
Veteran

Post by eyeswideshut »

ricardo wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:30 am I have no choice about my company pension being in the UK. It’s where I earned it and it cannot be moved.

So, for me, timing the ‘market’ is about timing the exchange rate. Equally difficult.

I’ve decided not to worry and just pull the money every month as planned. Sometimes I’ll get more. Sometimes I’ll get less. I have a worst case scenario - which we are currently quite close to due to Brexit! - but it will still pay the bills and buy food. I just might have to have less holidays a year or go to Jolly Pasta instead of [insert name of posh restaurant] until Sterling recovers... And, if it doesn’t, well Jolly Pasta’s still better than the pie shop I used to go to in Manchester all those years ago....
My personal opinion is that it is the uncertainty that is killing the pound, not the economic impacts of Brexit. So either way I think it will recover eventually. That said, I think you are wise to pull the money and (I assume) convert to Yen every month as it could get worse before it gets better. Never been to Jolly Pasta - more of a Saizeria man myself.
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

eyeswideshut wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:04 am
OwenM wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:58 am As an Irish man myself I'm wondering how do you access those Irish domiciled ETFs from Japan? (I'm currently n SBI & Rakuten)
I use DBS Vickers in Singapore. Can't speak for SBI but I know Rakuten does not offer access to the LSE unfortunately. However, any fund that is offered in Ireland likely has an equivalent fund available on the NYSE.
I don't think any of the Japanese net brokers offer access to the LSE. Some of the traditional ones do, but costs are prohibitive. I think our best options are US ETFs, or Japanese Mutual Funds like eMaxis Slim.

P.S. Saizeriya +1 🍕
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

There is a Jolly Pasta near us. It's wonderful.

Saizeriya is full of shrieking high school students and the tables are far too close together. Bah humbug.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

Anyone else thinking of holding off on their monthly investments till after the 31st to see what the Brexit debacle does to the market? :lol:
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Jr NISA -> Established (Running quietly in the background)
UK Pension Voluntary Contributions -> Up and running
All thanks to RetireJapan...
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Nope. Just do my thing on pay day every month.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Sybil

Post by Sybil »

Bushiman wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:46 am Anyone else thinking of holding off on their monthly investments till after the 31st to see what the Brexit debacle does to the market? :lol:
Politics again....
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

Sybil wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:30 am
Bushiman wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:46 am Anyone else thinking of holding off on their monthly investments till after the 31st to see what the Brexit debacle does to the market? :lol:
Politics again....
Oh, good lord.... :roll:
Brexit, whichever way it goes (I didn't even mention an opinion other than "debacle" which let's be honest, from either side it has been), will most likely have a direct affect on my finances and is this not a forum for personal finance? Plus, this thread is about timing the market, which is usually a waste of time, but it's not often an exact date for something this monumental comes around... That's all I was getting at...
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Jr NISA -> Established (Running quietly in the background)
UK Pension Voluntary Contributions -> Up and running
All thanks to RetireJapan...
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

I suspect Brexit will be postponed again, so the markets will probably just carry on with uncertainty. Not a lot of actionable info there for me :)

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)