45歳でアーリーリタイアして資産生活

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: 45歳でアーリーリタイアして資産生活

Post by RetireJapan »

And there is something comforting about dividends, even though intellectually I know they are less efficient...
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Leafs_Raps

Post by Leafs_Raps »

RetireJapan wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:46 pm
Leafs_Raps wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:27 am Perfect. I am paying taxes in Japan so I guess there is a way to claim it when I do my 確定申告 next year then?
No, you can only offset the US tax on dividends against the Japanese tax on dividends. So you can claim it back within a taxable account (reducing your taxes from 30% to 20%) but not in a NISA account.
Finally got it! Thanks for your explanation and patience!! :)
Leafs_Raps

Post by Leafs_Raps »

RetireJapan wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:50 pm
TokyoWart wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:23 pm I think this is one more reason we benefit from holding broad market index funds which, while they may have years of losses or stagnation, over the longer term bounce back from each downturn and never require an apology.
Absolutely. Which is why I tend to recommend cheap, diversified index funds and indeed have the bulk of our investments going into them.

But I haven't quite outgrown the urge to dabble and mess things up ;)
Yeah, this seems like the way to go for sure...
StockBeard
Veteran

Post by StockBeard »

RetireJapan wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:05 am You can only claim the US 10% back against Japanese taxes that you paid (ie outside NISA). This is due to the tax treaty that aims to prevent double taxation.
I need to reply that my follow up with the well established company that did taxes for me this year has led me to the conclusion that claiming the 10% US dividend tax as foreign tax credit in JP is actually not possible in the case of a mutual fund or an ETF, only in the case of individual stocks (but in your case Ben you should probably leverage it since your US stocks are individual companies). With many of us going with indexing, I think this is an important edge case to know about. See here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=582&start=10#p4722
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

StockBeard wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:14 am
RetireJapan wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:05 am You can only claim the US 10% back against Japanese taxes that you paid (ie outside NISA). This is due to the tax treaty that aims to prevent double taxation.
I need to reply that my follow up with the well established company that did taxes for me this year has led me to the conclusion that claiming the 10% US dividend tax as foreign tax credit in JP is actually not possible in the case of a mutual fund or an ETF, only in the case of individual stocks (but in your case Ben you should probably leverage it since your US stocks are individual companies). With many of us going with indexing, I think this is an important edge case to know about. See here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=582&start=10#p4722
I hope not, cause I've got fair amounts of VT as well!

Will report back if I get around to trying :)

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
mule96
Veteran

Post by mule96 »

There are both opinions on what can be claimed back and what not. I would at least think that an ETF with only american stocks would be ok. So far I claimed back for example the 10% even from ETFs like VT, with the guidance of a tax adviser.
gaijinkun
Regular

Post by gaijinkun »

Would you please tell me what was starting investment budget of Ranpa, blogger.
I see his recent post he grew it up to 2019/9/19時点の総合計:10,475万円 !!!
How is it possible?

Also another quick silly question. How to identify stocks and funds that pay dividends in NISA account (SBI).

Thank you for help!
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

There is not a lot of evidence on the blog that he has been successful as an investor. In September 2017 the blog reports 90 million yen in investments and he later received 17 million in a lump sum early retirement from his company.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

My impression was that he basically saved up most of the portfolio due to having a high salary and low expenses.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)