Buying Japanese shares at Rakuten/SBI at zero commission and transferring to Monex?

ChapInTokyo
Veteran

Buying Japanese shares at Rakuten/SBI at zero commission and transferring to Monex?

Post by ChapInTokyo »

I wonder if there are any downsides to buying Japanese shares at Rakuten or SBI to take advantage of their zero commissions and then transferring them out to another broker which doesn't have similar zero commission programmes (Monex, in my particular instance)?

Anyone have any experience of doing something like this?
zeroshiki
Veteran

Re: Buying Japanese shares at Rakuten/SBI at zero commission and transferring to Monex?

Post by zeroshiki »

Its a lot of effort to save whatever how many hundred yen you're looking at.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Re: Buying Japanese shares at Rakuten/SBI at zero commission and transferring to Monex?

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

zeroshiki wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:47 am Its a lot of effort to save whatever how many hundred yen you're looking at.
What is the upside to staying with Monex for a taxable account? Sure keep your NISA there, and use something else for your taxable.

If it is your "10% fun money/active trading" account or something similar, brokers like MooMoo may be more intuitive to use. (English settings, free live US data).
ChapInTokyo
Veteran

Post by ChapInTokyo »

zeroshiki wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:47 am Its a lot of effort to save whatever how many hundred yen you're looking at.
Well 500 yen commission x 20 stocks comes out as a 10,000 yen difference so I could probably stretch myself to filling in a form and sending it back to the broker for that saving.
Last edited by ChapInTokyo on Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChapInTokyo
Veteran

Post by ChapInTokyo »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:04 am
What is the upside to staying with Monex for a taxable account? Sure keep your NISA there, and use something else for your taxable.

If it is your "10% fun money/active trading" account or something similar, brokers like MooMoo may be more intuitive to use. (English settings, free live US data).
I chose Monex for my Japanese brokerage because I like how Monex Vision keeps an eye on how my portfolio sits on the efficient frontier for a specified level of risk. I can have my external holdings reflected in there too but it wouldn’t automatically reflect changes in the stock prices so seems a bit labour intensive with say 20 stocks.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

ChapInTokyo wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:51 am

I chose Monex for my Japanese brokerage because I like how Monex Vision keeps an eye on how my portfolio sits on the efficient frontier for a specified level of risk. I can have my external holdings reflected in there too but it wouldn’t automatically reflect changes in the stock prices so seems a bit labour intensive with say 20 stocks.
Isn"t Monex Vision a bit, well,...shit? Definitely not worth keeping your taxable there for that feature alone.

You can do it yourself in Google sheets quite easily with stocks/efs. It is slightly more difficult with mutual funds with IMPORTXML or similar functions.
ChapInTokyo
Veteran

Post by ChapInTokyo »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:55 am
ChapInTokyo wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:51 am

Isn"t Monex Vision a bit, well,...shit? Definitely not worth keeping your taxable there for that feature alone.

You can do it yourself in Google sheets quite easily with stocks/efs. It is slightly more difficult with mutual funds with IMPORTXML or similar functions.
I haven't tried jury rigging anything similar with Google sheets, but it's certainly made life easier since it knows about the asset class allocation of the Japanese mutual funds as well as those domestic and US ETFs that can be bought here. It's also nice how it can simulate how your draw down rate will affect your portfolio into the future, and suggest which assets you might sell and in what proportion without putting your portfolio out of wack.

Does your google sheet sync with the data in your portfolio? Do you import data into a different financial app which can get data from your broker account or something?
ChapInTokyo
Veteran

Post by ChapInTokyo »

Being retired, being able to simulate my the safe drawdown rate for my portfolio is a function of Monex Vision that I find useful.

I’m not a google sheets user so not sure whether the financial functions of that app is also able to help me there though.