Sell Timing: what price used to calculate?

captainspoke
Sensei

Re: Sell Timing: what price used to calculate?

Post by captainspoke »

Just an informational query... (since I'm US and don't buy MFs, just ETFs)

Why is it that the funds above have their valuations delayed due to foreign holdings, with the price being finalized the day after (or later), when an ETF with foreign holdings traded on a US exchange can be priced/traded from moment to moment throughout the trading day?
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

ETFs don’t have a daily NAV to price off, they simply trade like any other stock and have a bid/offer set by market participants. So they can trade away from net asset value, i.e. you can end up paying a premium or discount.

(There is a mechanism to allow authorized participants to force ETFs back to the underlying net asset price but letting them create/redeem units in specie [with stocks rather than cash] but punters don’t need to worry about that)
cocacola
Veteran

Post by cocacola »

ChapInTokyo wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 1:45 am
There's a Q&A about the pricing of mutual funds on the Monex site:
https://info.monex.co.jp/fund/beginner/faq/qa13.html

Basically, with mutual funds, you have to focus on the long term gains rather than trying to maximise gains from market jitters. With something like an eMaxis Slim All Country one thing you can do is to maybe avoid selling it when the BoJ has done their intervention thing and the yen's strengthened a bit. You'll get more yen for the buck if you can time it so the yen's a bit weaker again...
Ah, I missed replying to this. Thanks for the research and info, ChapInTokyo.

After reading a few other posts on this forum, it seems that the US/JPY correlation was manipulated in the recent days to try to strengthen the yen. Not sure how long the latest ratio will last for, but I don't think it would last for too long. Not that I am an expert of any of this!

Thanks for your helpful input!