Simple Q&A - iDeCo

beanhead
Sensei

Re: Simple Q&A - iDeCo

Post by beanhead »

Darren wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:18 am I decided to set up my iDeco account with SBI the other day. However, each time I'm about to input my bank information, the error message below shows up. I've tried redoing the entire process from the beginning four times already at different times of the day, but with no luck. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong? Thanks!

掛金引落口座登録のお手続きが中断されました。

お手数ですが最初からやり直して下さい。
You can't apply online. As a non-Japanese resident all of the brokers will require you to fill out paper forms. This should be made clear in the application process. If not, maybe just call them and ask them to send you the forms to fill out by hand.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
ClearAsMud
Veteran

Post by ClearAsMud »

adamu wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:29 am According to the forms, it needs to be a "long term" kyosai member for the 12,000 limit to apply. I'm not sure what a long term member is, though.
"Long-term" here is not a reference to length of membership but to length of benefit payments (chōki kyūfu). Mutual-aid societies divide their social-insurance benefits into long-term benefits and short-term benefits. The former include items paid out more or less permanently, most centrally pensions. The latter include all paid-once-and-done benefits, meaning basically health insurance and associated benefits (the PMAC equates short-term benefits with health insurance on this page). Thus, the form is essentially asking your employer to check off which pension category you belong to.
Darren

Post by Darren »

After a long wait, I expect to have my iDeCo account ready by August. My question is, can I pay a lump sum for the months that I missed (January to July)? I see some people here saying that iDeCo does not have an annual allowance and contributions should be made monthly, but there are articles online, like the screenshot below from Yahoo, recommending an annual contribution to keep the fees low. Can someone please shed some light on this? Much appreciated.

beanhead
Sensei

Post by beanhead »

Darren wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:02 pm After a long wait, I expect to have my iDeCo account ready by August. My question is, can I pay a lump sum for the months that I missed (January to July)?
No, you cannot make payments for before you were signed up for iDeCo. That is not how it works.
Not sure about the graphic that you posted. The possibility of yearly pay for the tiny monthly handling fees has never crossed my mind.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
beanhead
Sensei

Post by beanhead »

Darren wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:02 pm like the screenshot below from Yahoo, recommending an annual contribution to keep the fees low. Can someone please shed some light on this? Much appreciated.
Hang on, that says you pay the 105yen once a year instead of every month :?:
This site here says the same thing...
https://ideco.kddi-am.com/learn/column/ideco0084/
Curious...
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Huh, had never seen that option before.

Not sure I can be bothered to fiddle with it to save 1000 yen a year, but interesting possibility.

(main risk seems to be if something goes wrong with the bank withdrawal, you lose your entire annual iDeCo allocation...)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Darren

Post by Darren »

I am not really after the savings for doing it annually. I would still like to contribute ¥6,700 monthly (category 1 with kokumin nenkin kikin) for dollar-cost averaging etc, but since I am starting my iDeCo mid-year, I am considering either a one-time whole-year lump sum just for this year or paying a lump sum for the seven months that I missed before my iDeCo opening in August.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Darren wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:36 pm I am not really after the savings for doing it annually. I would still like to contribute ¥6,700 monthly (category 1 with kokumin nenkin kikin) for dollar-cost averaging etc, but since I am starting my iDeCo mid-year, I am considering either a one-time whole-year lump sum just for this year or paying a lump sum for the seven months that I missed before my iDeCo opening in August.
I don't think you can make up payments for months before the account was open, but do let me know if I'm wrong on that.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)