Using UK bank card in Japan

This forum is to discuss anything to do with banks and banking services.
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Using UK bank card in Japan

Post by goodandbadjapan »

Just out of interest I stuck my UK bank card into a 7-11 machine to see if it would work. It seems to but I cancelled when it asked what I wanted to do. Anyone know what sort of exchange rate you get or what charges there are when pulling money from UK account in Japanese ATM? I don't really need to do this, but just curious with the yen being so weak if it would be worth pulling some money out now and again.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Using UK bank card in Japan

Post by RetireJapan »

I've used a NatWest card a few times in the past. Wasn't paying particular attention, but you may pay a fee to the UK bank, there may be an ATM fee, and the rate is decided by the UK bank I believe (as long as the transaction is yen).

Probably better to send it over with Wise, unless you are trying to avoid government attention 8-)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Thanks - have no particular reason to use it right now, but wondered if it would be comparable to Wise. Probably a much smaller limit on what you can take out each day.
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

You could... look it up on your bank's website and let us know? :idea:
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

adamu wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:22 am You could... look it up on your bank's website and let us know? :idea:
Well, I did try but couldn't find any information about it. That's why I asked! And never having done this I don't know what charges come from the bank, or the ATM I'm using etc.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

NatWest charges for 2.75% for a non-Sterling transaction, plus whatever the ATM fee is.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

The only time I use my Lloyds debit card is to buy birthday and Christmas presents that my family have deposited money for me in my UK bank account. You do not get a great currency rate and you get charged commission. However, when I was purchasing with the card, the cashier asked if I wanted the sales tax refunded, thinking I was a non-resident.....