About New NISA system in Rakuten

germanium9

About New NISA system in Rakuten

Post by germanium9 »

Hi,
I'm a little confused with the new Rakuten NISA interface and new NISA system.
In the 2024年のNISA投資額 pie chart, it indicates that that 投資額 is 0円
But when I go into NISAつみたて投資枠 I still have have my funds that I purchased in 2023 due for payment.
When I try to 新規積立設定, it says 「 同一(ファンド、分配金コース、口座区分)の積立設定を複数設定することはできません。」

So in 2024年のNISA投資額 pie chart, I can't buy more of the current fund I have?
Should I cancel all my 2023 NISAつみたて投資 and rebuy the funds again?
beanhead
Sage

Re: About New NISA system in Rakuten

Post by beanhead »

If you had tsumitate NISA set up in 2023 and did not make any changes, the same funds will be bought in the 2024 new NISA, in the tsumitate portion.

It is showing nothing there at the moment because those purchases have not cleared yet, I believe. Mine is set up for the 8th of the month, for example.

You cannot set up a new tsumitate if you are maxing the one you have already. You need to edit the amounts/funds for the existing tsumitate.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
eyeswideshut
Veteran

Post by eyeswideshut »

I have a different but maybe related question about the new NISA in Rakuten. Actually it is more about the old 2019 NISA that ended on Dec 31. I buy emaxis slim all country both in my NISA and also my tokutei account in Rakuten. Now that the 2019 NISA wrapper has come out it seems that both the 2019 NISA units and the tokutei units are blended together. As an example, let's say I had 1 million units of emaxis slim in my 2019 NISA and 1 million in my tokutei account. As of Jan 1 it now appears I have 2 million units in my tokutei. The problem is that I wanted to sell the NISA funds in order to contribute to the new NISA but now it is unclear which funds I am selling. My questions if anyone knows:

1) Is there a way to designate which units I want to sell so I can select only the units that came from the 2019 NISA?
2) If not, if I were to sell units would it follow a first in first out approach or is the cost basis blended across the entire set of units? I searched through the Rakuten documents and could not find the answer to how they calculate tax on tokutei accounts.

At the end of the day I suspect it doesn't really matter but I was hoping to avoid a taxable event if possible. Next year I will make sure I sell my 2020 NISA prior to it leaving the NISA wrapper to avoid this situation.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

eyeswideshut wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:31 am 1) Is there a way to designate which units I want to sell so I can select only the units that came from the 2019 NISA?
2) If not, if I were to sell units would it follow a first in first out approach or is the cost basis blended across the entire set of units? I searched through the Rakuten documents and could not find the answer to how they calculate tax on tokutei accounts.

At the end of the day I suspect it doesn't really matter but I was hoping to avoid a taxable event if possible. Next year I will make sure I sell my 2020 NISA prior to it leaving the NISA wrapper to avoid this situation.
1) I don't think so, 2) I believe Tokutei takes the running average, but like you I can't find a good source from a quick search, will check again later. That's what I was talking about here.
adamu wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:39 pm
RetireJapan wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:07 pm The easiest way to do this (assuming you are not in a hurry) might be to wait until January when the investments will be moved to your taxable account. You can then sell the entire amount, as only the 2019 ones will be moved.
This also adds tax calculatuons back into the equation, though, which is avoided by selling this year.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Found it

平均取得価額の計算方法について
https://www.rakuten-sec.co.jp/web/suppo ... pecific-08
eyeswideshut
Veteran

Post by eyeswideshut »

adamu wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:45 am Found it

平均取得価額の計算方法について
https://www.rakuten-sec.co.jp/web/suppo ... pecific-08
Thank you - looks like they take the average cost basis. So the NISA units (0 capital gains) will be merged with the non-NISA units (with capital gains) and the cost basis will be averaged between the two when selling to determine withholding tax. Irritating to incur an unexpected tax liability but at the end of the day it makes no real difference and easy enough to avoid in the future by selling ahead of the deadline.
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

That’s a really interesting point, eyeswideshut - certainly something to be aware of if holding the same fund in both a legacy nisa and taxable account.

The bright side is you may be able to afford to do some more furusato nozei this year, assuming you do go ahead and sell.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

sutebayashi wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:49 am That’s a really interesting point, eyeswideshut - certainly something to be aware of if holding the same fund in both a legacy nisa and taxable account.
When the New Nisa was announced, I decided to keep all Nisa/iDeco assets with Rakuten, and use SBI for my taxable account.

As units of the legacy Nisa mature, I will sell them in Rakuten and rebuy and in my SBI taxable account. Would a similar strategy work for you?
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:08 am I decided to keep all Nisa/iDeco assets with Rakuten, and use SBI for my taxable account.
Clever thinking!

Actually I opened an SBI account myself last year, but so far haven’t touched it… they butchered my name and I haven’t got the time and will to sort that out yet.

At the moment I am ok to invest fresh money to my NISA so have yet needed to sell anything from tokutei koza for that purpose.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

I added a bullet point about this issue to the Old NISA page. I'm not sure anybody will find it though, and it probably only makes sense to people who have already discovered the issue themselves...

https://retirewiki.jp/wiki/Old_NISA#Caveats