Choosing between a life in Japan and Germany

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Tokyo
Veteran

Re: Choosing between a life in Japan and Germany

Post by Tokyo »

Japan or Germany? Difficult question. But I understand your worries. When first moving here more than 30 years ago, we had similar concerns as you do but we don’t regret our choice. What I have learned about Japan is there is usually a workaround to many problems.

Education
Education was a great concern for us too. Our children went to the local elementary school, it wasn’t terrible but it wasn’t great either. For the next 6 years they got into a unicorn: a relatively cheap private school with enormous freedom (students had freedom of hair color, skirt lengths, clothing, etc) and an advanced English curriculum right up to English native speaker levels since many were returnees. Sadly, the school has since closed down. Cram schools appear terrible but they really aren’t. Our kids themselves wanted to attend from age 15-16 to get help with the subjects they felt less confident in, and couldn’t get individual attention with at school. Ultimately, our kids did very well at school, got into their first choice universities, got first choice jobs and now earn great salaries - one is still only 26 easily out earns either of her her tenured professor parents at their earning peaks.

A warning: take gaijin opinions, including mine, with a grain of salt. I have seen/heard long time residents moan about the Japanese recycling system, food, public transportation - some of the very best reasons to live here! Regarding education, most parents I know are quite happy with the overall results of their children’s experience, although it may not have been perfect. Gaijins are amazingly opinionated about a system they have no experience of. Please ask them why their more ‘enlightened’ western education with critical thinking skills has led to anti-vaxxers, QAnon believers or pious idiots who believe that the world is only 6000 years old. Not just a dozen crackpots either, there are literally millions of them.

Housing
Detached houses here definitely depreciate in value over time. We built a new, high quality family house but when appraising it for sale 30 years later, that still wonderful home with little wear or tear, was assessed by real estate professionals as having basically no value, although the land value had risen some. Here’s the workaround for you: Buy a good secondhand house and let someone else take most of the depreciation for you. Maybe do what the guy who bought our house did. Line up your builder before buying, and get him to house hunt with you to assess the structure of houses. Then he can renovate a good house and you can save a lot.

What is not so well understood about Japanese real estate is that if buying into the same system, there’s little disadvantage (unless you want a brand new place). Sure, that house I could have bought 30 years ago in London or LA would have tripled or quadrupled in price - but then so has every house around it. So there’s no real ‘gain’ unless you are willing to leave that city for a cheaper locale.

But there is the very real worry that buying here you will lose out of ever returning to Germany to buy. So if possible, buy property in Germany so that you can keep up with market growth there and return if desired. (We did that too but have now have no desire to leave Japan.) Given the likelihood of future appreciation in Germany and depreciation in Japan, it would be more financially prudent to buy property in Germany and only rent in Japan. But as I think was noted by the RetireJapan guru himself elsewhere, a home is an emotional as well as a financial decision.

Disasters
Earthquakes concern everyone but they are unpredictable. You can plan ahead to minimize unpleasant surprises but ultimately can only control what you can control. Certainly you can investigate the geological stability of areas where you want to live. That information is out there in public hazard maps.

Sure, Japan has its faults. And it’s not for everyone. It’s my home, by choice. We made good lives here in Japan. While it does not guarantee your successful transition, our experience can serve as an example that moving to Japan can work out well, and that your worries are not insurmountable ones.
captainspoke
Sensei

Post by captainspoke »

Tokyo wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:30 am... Please ask them why their more ‘enlightened’ western education with critical thinking skills has led to anti-vaxxers, QAnon believers or pious idiots who believe that the world is only 6000 years old. Not just a dozen crackpots either, there are literally millions of them.
Now, now, don't beat around the bush. Please tell us what you really think... :D :lol:

(Actually, I think I'll save that and use it elsewhere.)
Haystack
Veteran

Post by Haystack »

I would like to chime in regards to Public education in Japan.

Hoikuen and elementary in Japanese - World class

JH-HS - Really a mixed bag depending on the school, and it`s approaches.

University - Pretty Terrible (Go abroad)

Source: Currently a university instructor.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Haystack wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:17 pm I would like to chime in regards to Public education in Japan.

Hoikuen and elementary in Japanese - World class

JH-HS - Really a mixed bag depending on the school, and it`s approaches.

University - Pretty Terrible (Go abroad)

Source: Currently a university instructor.
Agree on the university. Worked full-time at the currently #1 ranked uni in Japan (by student satisfaction?https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASQ3S71K7Q3SUTIL033.html) for 13 years and thought quality of courses etc. was pretty shocking.

Don't really know what 'normal' uni is like in other countries though, so don't have much of a context to compare to.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
beanhead
Sensei

Post by beanhead »

RetireJapan wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:27 pm
Agree on the university. Worked full-time at the currently #1 ranked uni in Japan (by student satisfaction?https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASQ3S71K7Q3SUTIL033.html) for 13 years and thought quality of courses etc. was pretty shocking.
Pah, what uni student cares about the quality of the courses? ;)
I know I didn't, anyway...

The irony is that I later paid a large amount of my own money to get a master's degree. Then I certainly did care if a lecturer was not so great, or a course poorly organized.

Youth is wasted on the young, and all that...
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Haystack
Veteran

Post by Haystack »

beanhead wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:52 am

The irony is that I later paid a large amount of my own money to get a master's degree. Then I certainly did care if a lecturer was not so great, or a course poorly organized.

Most students who go abroad, realize the poor quality of Japanese lectures after returning it seems.

Hejokin are not paid or incentivized for anything beyond the minimal effort. Many are barely scraping by on year-to-year contracts.

English teachers have it much better do to universal demand and flexibility.
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

beanhead wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:52 am

Good point. A famous undergrad uni may allow you to make connections, get a good job and will put you in a cohort filled with motivated students. On the other hand, undergrads are often there to party and get laid, at least a first couple years. Then (in the American context) they spend the next two years changing majors and finally graduate in six, owing $200,000.
gundahar

Post by gundahar »

I'm German, single and probably will never have kids and currently struggling with the same question. I'm working abroad in Africa since 4 years and want to quit that job soon. Germany or Japan?

There's a romantic in me ( heart) telling me I must go to Japan and there's a cold realist in me ( ratio) telling me I must go to Germany.
Japan is attractive for me in many aspects like public transport, food, low crime rate, cleanliness, manners, etc. But it comes at the cost of ridiculous language barrier and not knowing how the bureaucracy, taxes, laws etc. work, smaller & lower quality apartments and visa struggles. Also my prospects for achieving a decent income is terrible in Japan. From what I've seen I could get minimum salary or a bit above ( didn't find jobs for civil engineers with terrible japanese skills so I'd have to do one of the typical "foreigner jobs"). In Germany I would easily get 3500 Euro to 4000 Euro after taxes and other deductions. Very high demand currently.
At the moment I'm thinking of going to Japan and satisfying the romantic and check if he gets crushed by reality or not. I can always go back home if I don't like it.
Tkydon
Sensei

Post by Tkydon »

gundahar wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:17 am I'm German, single and probably will never have kids and currently struggling with the same question. I'm working abroad in Africa since 4 years and want to quit that job soon. Germany or Japan?

There's a romantic in me ( heart) telling me I must go to Japan and there's a cold realist in me ( ratio) telling me I must go to Germany.
Japan is attractive for me in many aspects like public transport, food, low crime rate, cleanliness, manners, etc. But it comes at the cost of ridiculous language barrier and not knowing how the bureaucracy, taxes, laws etc. work, smaller & lower quality apartments and visa struggles. Also my prospects for achieving a decent income is terrible in Japan. From what I've seen I could get minimum salary or a bit above ( didn't find jobs for civil engineers with terrible japanese skills so I'd have to do one of the typical "foreigner jobs"). In Germany I would easily get 3500 Euro to 4000 Euro after taxes and other deductions. Very high demand currently.
At the moment I'm thinking of going to Japan and satisfying the romantic and check if he gets crushed by reality or not. I can always go back home if I don't like it.
Have you lived in Japan before?
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

gundahar wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:17 am At the moment I'm thinking of going to Japan and satisfying the romantic and check if he gets crushed by reality or not. I can always go back home if I don't like it.
Made me think of this blog
http://japaneseruleof7.com/