Inheritance Tax English-Speaking Advisor

mjv
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Inheritance Tax English-Speaking Advisor

Post by mjv »

Desperately seeking an English-speaking inheritance tax advisor. Unicorn? Appreciate ANY names folks can provide. Property located in Tokyo.
Tkydon
Sensei

Re: Inheritance Tax English-Speaking Advisor

Post by Tkydon »

For planning purposes, or you have to file?

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... g+zeirishi
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
mjv

Post by mjv »

For planning purposes. But it's complicated, so looking for recommendations of good people used. Thanks.
Haystack
Veteran

Post by Haystack »

People will need more details to help you.

1. 100% Japanese tax law? Or other jurisdictions as well?

2. Traditional assets only, no crypto hopefully?

3. Budget? For instance PWL has Tokyo offices. They obviously are not cheap. https://www.pwc.com/jp/en/
mjv

Post by mjv »

Good questions.
1). Beneficiaries are US citizens (in US), but one also on working visa in Japan.
2). Good lord, can barely wrap my head around J real estate/cash assets. No, no crypto.
3). Have not thought about a budget. But want to be able to explore all different planning options AND implement chosen plan with help of just one company if possible.

Thanks.
Haystack
Veteran

Post by Haystack »

mjv wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:37 am Good questions.
1). Beneficiaries are US citizens (in US), but one also on working visa in Japan.
2). Good lord, can barely wrap my head around J real estate/cash assets. No, no crypto.
3). Have not thought about a budget. But want to be able to explore all different planning options AND implement chosen plan with help of just one company if possible.

Thanks.
You will need an expert then, specializing in American and Japanese tax law, who is bilingual.

This will not be cheap or easy to find. You will (a) need to go through an organization like PWC or (b) get a referral from another American.

These experts are in demand, and can set their prices and choose their clients at leisure.
mjv

Post by mjv »

Yes, looking for that needle in the haystack. But would rather pay the advisor than give money to the J government! Have gotten one name off this site, but seems to be Japanese only.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

If you Google PWC Japan they seem to have English speaking accountants and financial advisors for common law jurisdictions in relation to inheritances. I am also going through the process of probate with a family member but it is below the 30 million yen threshold so I am going through my local accountant with reporting the inheritance to the Japanese tax office.