Furusato Nozei Experience

TJKansai
Veteran

Re: Furusato Nozei Experience

Post by TJKansai »

Tkydon wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:59 am Please reread. I have made some edits.

The problem is that Residents' Taxes are derived from a very complex calculation for Taxable Income, after all deductions, and when you take the deduction it feeds back and increases the deductions, reduces the Taxable Income, reduces the National Taxes and Residents' Taxes, and so on.

The OP was asking how much more he could buy if he had some additional expected gross income that he could not guaranty would come in in time in this tax year.

The Marginal Gross Income would increase the Gross Residents' Taxes by 10% for Aggregate Method Taxable Income or 5% for Separate Method Taxable Capital Gain / Dividend Income, so the amount of that Gross Income that could be used for Marginal Furusato Nozei Purchases would be approximately:

Assuming he is at max before the additional income, then he could purchase additional 20% x 10% = 2% or 20% x 5% = 1% of the Additional Gross Income.
TJKansai wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:10 pm I plugged my estimated 2021 cap gains/distributions/dividends (all overseas) into the Furusato Choice calculator thinking I would be giving myself a nice fat allowance, but it only boosted mine by about ¥20,000.

Does this look right, or am I missing something?

1,800,000 x 5% (residence tax)=90,000 then 20% for Furusato=18,000
That's ¥20,000 / ¥1,800,000 = 1.11%

A large medical expense deduction could significantly reduce the Residents' Taxes and so significantly reduce the access to the Furusato Nozei Deduction.
Thank you for the incredibly detailed post. I am sure we all appreciate your laying out the numbers (though I have to admit I still find the details confusing :roll: ).

One more new situation for us is my wife has some overseas capital gains coming in at the end of the year. Not much, just about ¥500,000. What I am not sure about is whether that will go on my kakuteishinkoku or whether she will need her own. She has no income to speak of, and she is on my form as a dependent/spouse, so I am guessing we put it on my form in March (and get another ¥5,000 to spend on furusato).
TBS

Post by TBS »

TJKansai wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:53 am One more new situation for us is my wife has some overseas capital gains coming in at the end of the year. Not much, just about ¥500,000. What I am not sure about is whether that will go on my kakuteishinkoku or whether she will need her own. She has no income to speak of, and she is on my form as a dependent/spouse, so I am guessing we put it on my form in March (and get another ¥5,000 to spend on furusato).
If the shares/belongings that yielded the capital gains belong to your wife, I believe she will need to fill out her own tax return and pay the relevant capital gains taxes. This could affect the type of spousal tax deduction you can claim on your return (配偶者控除 -> 配偶者特別控除) as ¥500,000 over the limit for the basic 配偶者控除. In practice this won't make a difference to the taxes you pay as your spousal income deduction in either case will be ¥380,000 (presuming your total income is less than ¥9,000,000 for the year).

Her income for the year (¥500,000) will be too low for her to make a Furusato Nozei contribution.

If you head down to your local tax office they can help you fill in the returns.
bryanc
Veteran

Post by bryanc »

zeroshiki wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:18 am
bryanc wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:45 am i did mine with onestop and also did nenmatsuchousei.

my wife has submitted nenmatsuchousei at work but she needs to submit the furusato nozei..
as i understand , she cannot do one stop as have medical bills to submit as well for the kakutei shinkoku(400,000yen)

so as I understand she needs to submit a separate kakutei shinkoku with just the medical bills and furusato nozei on it...

or will this be a problem as she has alreadt done nenmatsuchousei at work?
is it ok to submit two separate ones??
My understanding is that nenmatsu chosei becomes void if you submit a Kakutei Shinkoku so its not a problem. Your wife needs to wait for the gensen choshuhyo 源泉徴収票 that her company will give her around the start of 2022 and then do her Kakutei Shinkoku with the nearest tax agency. This also nullifies the onestop furusato so she would have to add those donations to the form.
happy new yr all! sorry to go on about this,but is it correct that for my wifes one (not one stop) it is ok to file by march? i went to the tax office and they said the tax doc format for submitting with the medical bills is not out yet..
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

bryanc wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:56 am
zeroshiki wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:18 am
bryanc wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:45 am i did mine with onestop and also did nenmatsuchousei.

my wife has submitted nenmatsuchousei at work but she needs to submit the furusato nozei..
as i understand , she cannot do one stop as have medical bills to submit as well for the kakutei shinkoku(400,000yen)

so as I understand she needs to submit a separate kakutei shinkoku with just the medical bills and furusato nozei on it...

or will this be a problem as she has alreadt done nenmatsuchousei at work?
is it ok to submit two separate ones??
My understanding is that nenmatsu chosei becomes void if you submit a Kakutei Shinkoku so its not a problem. Your wife needs to wait for the gensen choshuhyo 源泉徴収票 that her company will give her around the start of 2022 and then do her Kakutei Shinkoku with the nearest tax agency. This also nullifies the onestop furusato so she would have to add those donations to the form.
happy new yr all! sorry to go on about this,but is it correct that for my wifes one (not one stop) it is ok to file by march? i went to the tax office and they said the tax doc format for submitting with the medical bills is not out yet..
According to google, the kakutei shinkoku's deadline is March 15.
Tkydon
Sensei

Post by Tkydon »

zeroshiki wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:18 am According to google, the kakutei shinkoku's deadline is March 15.
Yes, the window for filing is Feb 16 to Mar 15 if you owe tax
If you are owed a refund, you can actually file before Feb 15

See
https://www.nta.go.jp/taxes/shiraberu/s ... df/050.pdf
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
bryanc
Veteran

Post by bryanc »

thanks-so if you are filing for a refund you have to file before feb 15th? is the form available for this?i was told it wasnt yet..
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

bryanc wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:04 am thanks-so if you are filing for a refund you have to file before feb 15th? is the form available for this?i was told it wasnt yet..
No. You can still get a refund if you file before March 15. In recent years my filings have usually been just before the March deadline and I am generally due a refund.
Tkydon
Sensei

Post by Tkydon »

No, If you are filing for a refund you can even submit before Feb 15 if you want.
Otherwise, the window for filing is Feb 16 to Mar 15.

The Form is here:

https://www.nta.go.jp/taxes/shiraberu/s ... ku/r03.htm

https://www.nta.go.jp/taxes/shiraberu/s ... r03/02.pdf

See also

https://www.nta.go.jp/taxes/shiraberu/s ... df/050.pdf
Page 1

The printed guides and forms should be distributed to the Tax Offices very soon.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
bryanc
Veteran

Post by bryanc »

most helpful-cheers indeed! and my final question-when can you start doing furusato nozei for this yr (2022) do you have to wait til after march?
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

bryanc wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:14 am most helpful-cheers indeed! and my final question-when can you start doing furusato nozei for this yr (2022) do you have to wait til after march?
You can start January 1st