Tax on Rakuten Sec

John_conner
Regular

Tax on Rakuten Sec

Post by John_conner »

Hi

I have absolutely no idea when it comes to taxes so please bear with me.

I maxed out my NISA which due to being tax free I assume I don’t need to worry about. But, I also bought emaxis in my taxable account, i believe there is two choices when you buy in a taxable account. One where you have to do the taxes and another when Rakuten works them out and sends you a report? Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any help.
beanhead
Sensei

Re: Tax on Rakuten Sec

Post by beanhead »

Did you sell any of the fund and make a gain? If not, nothing to worry about.

If you did, then yes, whether you bought it in the tokutei account or ippan account is the key.
Tokutei is the default, and if you buy here, they will take out the 20.315% tax owed for you. No report needed, nothing to declare to the tax authorities.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
TBS

Post by TBS »

beanhead wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:54 pm Tokutei is the default, and if you buy here, they will take out the 20.315% tax owed for you. No report needed, nothing to declare to the tax authorities.
Note there are both withholding and no-withholding versions of Tokutei. Obligatory link to the amazing reddit r/japanfinance thread on account types :arrow: https://www.reddit.com/r/JapanFinance/c ... _accounts/

But yeah, if OP didn't sell anything or receive any dividends it is easy - no tax due.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

AFAIK Rakuten doesn't call the no-withholding account Tokutei. They only have tokuten (withholding) and ippan (non-withholding) options.
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

zeroshiki wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:26 pm AFAIK Rakuten doesn't call the no-withholding account Tokutei. They only have tokuten (withholding) and ippan (non-withholding) options.
Come on, it took me 30 seconds to check that that's not true. Let's post accurate information, rather than shooting from the hip with incorrect information.
名称未設定.jpg
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Yeah, with Rakuten you choose which type of tokutei account you want in the account settings, then on the purchase screen you just get the usual ippan, tokutei, or NISA selection.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
beanhead
Sensei

Post by beanhead »

TBS wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:05 pm
Note there are both withholding and no-withholding versions of Tokutei. Obligatory link to the amazing reddit r/japanfinance thread on account types :arrow: https://www.reddit.com/r/JapanFinance/c ... _accounts/
Good point. Sorry, forgot that.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.