Simple Q&A - NISA

bryanc
Veteran

Re: Simple Q&A - NISA

Post by bryanc »

thanks-sorry for all the questions on this..
seems free to do so may just set it up.
was looking for info on here about the currency trading they offer on here-there doesnt seem to be any ?can you point me in the right direction?
Gareth
Veteran

Post by Gareth »

Hi. For Tsumitate NISA, you have to set up a monthly payment. How often can you change the amount? Is it once a year like iDeCo or can you change it whenever you want? Thanks.
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

bryanc wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:27 am was looking for info on here about the currency trading they offer on here-there doesnt seem to be any ?can you point me in the right direction?
https://retirewiki.jp/wiki/Currency_conversion

@Gareth sorry don't know, but your post made me realise nobody had replied to bryanc.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Gareth wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:52 am Hi. For Tsumitate NISA, you have to set up a monthly payment. How often can you change the amount? Is it once a year like iDeCo or can you change it whenever you want? Thanks.
We'll be switching to tsumitate next year, so not 100% clear on how it works yet ;)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

RetireJapan wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:49 am
Gareth wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:52 am Hi. For Tsumitate NISA, you have to set up a monthly payment. How often can you change the amount? Is it once a year like iDeCo or can you change it whenever you want? Thanks.
We'll be switching to tsumitate next year, so not 100% clear on how it works yet ;)
Yes, you can change your settings at anytime with the big brokers. (Rakuten etc).

Rakuten had a bonus setting, that allows you to contribute a large amount one time. This allows you to front load the Nisa.

However, you must still have scheduled withdrawals for the remaining months, they must be equally distributed.

You need to play with it a bit. Very doable though.

It seems Rakuten JUST changed their Nisa page though...more clutter.
RMA
Veteran

Post by RMA »

adamu wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:28 pm
bryanc wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:27 am was looking for info on here about the currency trading they offer on here-there doesnt seem to be any ?can you point me in the right direction?

@Gareth sorry don't know, but your post made me realise nobody had replied to bryanc.
Hi adamu,

I just checked your retirewiki link on currency conversion. It says "Sumishin SBI Net bank has a cheaper rate of 0.04 yen per dollar, but you have to manually transfer the USD between the bank and the broker, which takes time."

I couldn't find this information on Sumishin SBI Net bank's site. How to confirm this? Also do you know how much they charge to transfer US Dollars to other bank's account?
RMA
Veteran

Post by RMA »

RMA wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:39 am
adamu wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:28 pm

Hi adamu,

I just checked your retirewiki link on currency conversion. It says "Sumishin SBI Net bank has a cheaper rate of 0.04 yen per dollar, but you have to manually transfer the USD between the bank and the broker, which takes time."

I couldn't find this information on Sumishin SBI Net bank's site. How to confirm this? Also do you know how much they charge to transfer US Dollars to other bank's account?
Ok I found the answer to my question at : https://www.netbk.co.jp/contents/lineup ... ange-rate/ and their transfer fees are JPY 3,000.
RMA
Veteran

Post by RMA »

bryanc wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:27 am thanks-sorry for all the questions on this..
seems free to do so may just set it up.
was looking for info on here about the currency trading they offer on here-there doesnt seem to be any ?can you point me in the right direction?
Don't know about monex, but if you really want to do forex trading then open an account with oanda.jp
Teflon
Veteran

Post by Teflon »

So I have a stupid question, which might also be a simple question... :lol:

Whenever I check my SBI NISA account after the Tokyo Stock Exchange closes I expect that the unrealized gains/losses field will be updated to reflect the current overall value and remain unchanged until the next morning when trading resumes. However, this is not the case. I've noticed that sometimes I check it in one browser tab around 5pm and then later in the night I check it again in another browser tab and the unrealized gains/losses field shows a different value in each tab. If I check it again an hour later it changes again. Has anyone else noticed this? Does this reflect after-hours trading or is something else going on?
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

Teflon wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:59 am So I have a stupid question, which might also be a simple question... :lol:

Whenever I check my SBI NISA account after the Tokyo Stock Exchange closes I expect that the unrealized gains/losses field will be updated to reflect the current overall value and remain unchanged until the next morning when trading resumes. However, this is not the case. I've noticed that sometimes I check it in one browser tab around 5pm and then later in the night I check it again in another browser tab and the unrealized gains/losses field shows a different value in each tab. If I check it again an hour later it changes again. Has anyone else noticed this? Does this reflect after-hours trading or is something else going on?
It depends on what type of security you are talking about.

Mutual funds settle at the end of the day, after trading is over

NAVs, (Net Asset Value) are calculated and updated at different times.

Emaxis Slim on Rakuten update at 10pm ish for example.