TransferWise Debit Card is out!

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Kanto
Veteran

Re: TransferWise Debit Card is out!

Post by Kanto »

dangocurry wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:16 am
fools_gold wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:20 am I had to activate mine. Just log in and enter the six digit number on the front of your card. Apparently you need to make one chip and PIN payment before you can use the contactless feature. Maybe that's what you're thinking of...
I see, so for contactless payment, one has to make these transactions. Given there's no chance of traveling for sometime outside now, where can one make these transactions? Sorry for the stupid question.
711 ATMs are the safest bet. They work with the widest array of foreign cards.
fools_gold
Veteran

Post by fools_gold »

Kanto wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:54 am 711 ATMs are the safest bet. They work with the widest array of foreign cards.
According to the accompanying letter you have to buy something with chip and PIN to activate the contactless. I guess paying at the conbini counter or at a supermarket would do the trick.
dangocurry
Regular

Post by dangocurry »

Kanto wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:54 am 711 ATMs are the safest bet. They work with the widest array of foreign cards.
I see, thank you!
dangocurry
Regular

Post by dangocurry »

fools_gold wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:09 pm
According to the accompanying letter you have to buy something with chip and PIN to activate the contactless. I guess paying at the conbini counter or at a supermarket would do the trick.
This makes it interesting - to buy something, otherwise one can just deposit some yen to transferwise and withdraw it.
fools_gold
Veteran

Post by fools_gold »

dangocurry wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:06 pm This makes it interesting - to buy something, otherwise one can just deposit some yen to transferwise and withdraw it.
You can withdraw money after just activating the card. However, if you want to make a contactless payment you can't do it until you have made a previous chip and PIN payment. That's what Transferwise say. I haven't had time to try it yet.
dangocurry
Regular

Post by dangocurry »

fools_gold wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:28 am
dangocurry wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:06 pm This makes it interesting - to buy something, otherwise one can just deposit some yen to transferwise and withdraw it.
You can withdraw money after just activating the card. However, if you want to make a contactless payment you can't do it until you have made a previous chip and PIN payment. That's what Transferwise say. I haven't had time to try it yet.
Thanks for the info!
Jake

Post by Jake »

Kanto wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:54 am
fools_gold wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:20 am I had to activate mine. Just log in and enter the six digit number on the front of your card. Apparently you need to make one chip and PIN payment before you can use the contactless feature. Maybe that's what you're thinking of...
I see, so for contactless payment, one has to make these transactions. Given there's no chance of traveling for sometime outside now, where can one make these transactions? Sorry for the stupid question.
Unfortunately Japan issued transferwise cards do not work in a Japanese ATM. Most of the rest of the world..... but :D
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

Jake wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:30 am
Kanto wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:54 am

Unfortunately Japan issued transferwise cards do not work in a Japanese ATM. Most of the rest of the world..... but :D
Even the 711 ATM? My obscure Canadian credit union card even works in those ones.
Jake

Post by Jake »

Kanto wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:01 am

Even the 711 ATM? My obscure Canadian credit union card even works in those ones.
Yep, even those ATMS. Transferwise system uses Mastercard ATMs so the first thing I did when I got mine was tried a few. No cigar.
When I asked they replied:
Thank you for your email.

Japanese issued TransferWise cards will not be able to withdraw cash from ATMs within Japan.
Due to the way our Japanese card BINs are set, local ATM withdrawals in Japan will not work.
Please note that cash withdrawals overseas will work.
Not a big deal, I just transferred cash to my J bank and used that instead
mighty58
Veteran

Post by mighty58 »

After a bit of a rigamarole in getting money into my account (I didn't realize you needed to "Add" the amount within the TransferWise app prior to making the furikomi), I finally succeeded in getting 10,000yen into my Yen account. I then went over to the local supermarket and tried it, it worked! The supermarket staff see it as a "credit" (MasterCard) transaction, so it's easier just to say カードで when paying. No PIN number was even necessary, and the amount was immediately debited, and a notification received from the app.

As such, while ATMs in Japan are a no-go, you can use the money at stores within Japan that accept Mastercard.