Best stockbroker for non-Japanese?

RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Best stockbroker for non-Japanese?

Post by RetireJapan »

takaji wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:49 am What problems have you been hearing about SBI? I ask because I finally just set up an account with them and am about to make my first purchases!
I think the main issues with SBI relate to opening an account, so if you managed to do that you should be okay :)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Snowmonkey

Post by Snowmonkey »

I guess my approach is a little different to what others have posted but it might be of help.

For within Japan, I just buy indexed ETFs within my iDeCo & NISA accounts. While I'm interested in Japanese stock, I feel the cost of entry is too high. In saying that, if they were to lower the entry (not limit purchases to large parcels), I'm sure it would help lift valuations here.

Instead, I just trade through Charles Schwab in the US. Trades within the US are free, however it is a hassle having to do my own reporting at tax time. I'm interested to hear if I'm missing something with this approach. I understand I'm running the risk of US death taxes on my holdings, so that is a further drawback. Any others?
Last edited by Snowmonkey on Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

Snowmonkey wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:13 am...
For within Japan, I just buy indexed ETFs within my iDeCo & NISA accounts. ...
Are you US? If you are, I think the advice is to only buy stocks within those accounts.

(edit for typo)
Last edited by captainspoke on Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
xtima

Post by xtima »

If the intent is to add money monthly, buy pre-determined stocks/bonds, and just let them sit, how do different platform rank in terms of the convenience of doing this process without much hair pulling?

So far, I have set up Theo (9 months in operation), WealthNavi (5 months), both of which were a breeze to start and there's nothing else to do after that, except keeping the monthly tsumitate set up with my bank from failing to secure the needed money. Though I only opened them to get started with investing and I hear will eat significant money as fees over time, so will stop adding more money there. I created a Rakuten account for NISA and general stock purchasing and it will hopefully allow me to start next week, so I'll know in due time how it fares. My wife started with SBI for NISA recently with a similar buy and hold goal, will see how that goes. Thinking of starting junior NISA for our daughter (turning 2 next month), for which, we're considering going with Rakuten.

As we're just getting started, the simplicity of the various parts and processes really makes a difference to remain motivated.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

xtima wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:43 am If the intent is to add money monthly, buy pre-determined stocks/bonds, and just let them sit, how do different platform rank in terms of the convenience of doing this process without much hair pulling?
As long as you are buying mutual funds, it is very easy to set up monthly purchases either from your broker account or pulling the money from an external bank account with Rakuten/Monex/SBI.

Not so sure about the Junior NISA though. That might need to be done manually.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Snowmonkey

Post by Snowmonkey »

captainspoke wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:32 am
Snowmonkey wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:13 am...
For within Japan, I just buy indexed ETFs within my iDeCo & NISA accounts. ...
Are you US? If you are, I think the advice is to only buy stocks within those accounts.

(edit for typo)
Captainspoke, Thanks for the reply. No, I'm not from the US, but been investing there since 2005 and just declare dividends and gains if I sell at tax time. I would rather just invest here but it wasn't so easy 15 plus years ago and I didn't have confidence in the foreign investment companies in Japan.

I wonder if anyone else also holds stocks in brokerages outside Japan.
tokyolights

Post by tokyolights »

carla.alinei wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:50 am I`ve start using Rakuten Securities but already dealing with some issues related to alphabet/katakana for my name and connection with RAkuten Bank to transfer money to buy in $ instead of Yen (that is allowed only for japanese stocks). Still in the process of understanding how it works. other nice options in the market are unfortunately only for residents in america
Have you been able to solve those issues? I run into this kind of trouble all the time because I have two names and two surnames...
kansaifolk
Regular

Post by kansaifolk »

I have had both Rakuten and SBI accounts for many years - with NISA account on SBI and Junior NISA on Rakuten. I find the SBI interface so much easier to navigate and use. SBI is easy - the google translate app to English works really well when I'm feeling too lazy to read the Japanese. If you know how to trade on an English platform, it is pretty much the same.
Both accounts were complicated to set up with paperwork and problems with my middle names, though. My spouse had to help me a lot. That was a pain!

I already have a US stock account I actively trade in in my home country, but my Canadian friend recently opened an Interactive Brokers Japan account to trade US stocks and says it is great.
https://www.interactivebrokers.co.jp/en/home.php
Khongera
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by Khongera »

I am curious whether there is a brokerage house here in Japan available to non-Japanese citizens, similar to, say, HSBC, Smith Barney or Morgan Stanley. In other words, a large investment house with a dedicated broker who can manage one's investments. Thanks.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

Khongera wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:24 am I am curious whether there is a brokerage house here in Japan available to non-Japanese citizens, similar to, say, HSBC, Smith Barney or Morgan Stanley. In other words, a large investment house with a dedicated broker who can manage one's investments. Thanks.
Brokerages? Not that I am aware of.
If you have high enough net worth, maybe Prestia can help.

Otherwise, standard advice is to keep things very simple and manage your investments yourself. Why pay a broker to do it for you, unless your needs are particularly complex?
Caveat: some level of Japanese is needed to invest with Japanese brokerages.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.