Buying US stocks from Japan.

beanhead
Sage

Re: Buying US stocks from Japan.

Post by beanhead »

bfuisting wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:57 am
I am looking to move some overseas retirement investments to a place that charges less fees. I am looking at IB but since I am not really that interested in trading that much but rather invest and leave it, I am wondering if it is for me. I would be able to put more than $10,000 in the account so that is not an issue. I am not Japanese and not a US citizen either.

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated!
If you are not a US citizen and based in Japan, why not a Japanese broker? Monex, Rakuten etc.
Unless you are planning to leave Japan soon, in which case IB is probably your best option.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
tim
Regular

Post by tim »

I should have research before choosing Rakuten securities.
I think I got too excited entering the world of Investing.

Bought some US stocks and upon research DMM securities has 0 commission rate when buying US stocks.
I don't have plans on buying Japanese stocks at the moment because of their "100 stock only rule"

Should I transfer to First Trade? and keep my NISA account to Rakuten Securities
or 0.495 commission rate isn't that bad?
I plan on buying stocks once in 3 weeks
Allocations
35% US Stocks
30% JPN Stocks
35% tNISA
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

tim wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:04 am I should have research before choosing Rakuten securities.
I think I got too excited entering the world of Investing.

Bought some US stocks and upon research DMM securities has 0 commission rate when buying US stocks.
I don't have plans on buying Japanese stocks at the moment because of their "100 stock only rule"

Should I transfer to First Trade? and keep my NISA account to Rakuten Securities
or 0.495 commission rate isn't that bad?
I plan on buying stocks once in 3 weeks
https://zuu.co.jp/media/stock/us-stock- ... comparison It depends, rates, fees, exchange calculation, and stock selection all differ. Take your pick.

Major US ETFs such as VT/VTI/VOO trade free on Rakuten.