One fund to rule them all?

RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: One fund to rule them all?

Post by RetireJapan »

RInse and repeat for the next few decades :)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
jcc
Veteran

Post by jcc »

Rezz wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:33 am I've been drip feeding money into this fund over the last few months, but every time I do it reaches a new low the following week or two. Dollar-cost averaging is good and all that, but it feels like I'm chasing the bottom. Tempted to put another load of cash in now it's lower again :(
Well, Mr Trump is on the warpath and declaring tariffs on China and Mexico. Investors aren't exactly positive.

If you're investing for the long term, it's a good time to buy in unless you believe that it's not going to be recovered from ever.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Yeah, I ran our portfolio numbers on Saturday and they were not pretty! Time to buy methinks -good timing as it is bonus month :)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
eyeswideshut
Veteran

Post by eyeswideshut »

RetireJapan wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:46 am Yeah, I ran our portfolio numbers on Saturday and they were not pretty! Time to buy methinks -good timing as it is bonus month :)
Ours went down too but more from Yen appreciation than anything else (stocks went down but bonds went up). I am hoping stocks will fall even further over the next few weeks so I can buy some on sale. I get the feeling that the upcoming G20 will be a complete shit-storm that will spook the market so I am in waiting mode - don't time the market, I know I know, but it is fun to try.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Rezz wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:33 am I've been drip feeding money into this fund over the last few months, but every time I do it reaches a new low the following week or two.
I'm currently up about 10% on this fund since I started investing in this last year. Of course it's going to go up and down like all investments. Just wanted to provide a counter-example for anyone reading this thread.

It's important to invest based on fundamental principles, rather than short term performance.
Screenshot 2020-01-24 at 20.20.17.png
Rezz's post seems to have been during the blip in the middle of this graph.
Rezz
Regular

Post by Rezz »

Yup. I am also happy to report that I stuck to the principles and am also significantly up on this fund. Great little performer!
OkiBum
Veteran

Post by OkiBum »

Which fund is this?
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

This link is in the first post.

But here's the official one: https://emaxis.jp/fund/253425.html
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

There's a great comparison table on Shintaro Money of all the available global funds, along with their listed and "actual" costs.

https://shintaro-money.com/index-cost/#i-3

Interesting that SBI comes out cheaper than eMaxis Slim at 0.199% vs 0.205%, even though it's got the tipple taxation problem. Maybe we've been getting too hung up on that? Rakuten and Tawara are both over 0.3%.

I actually prefer the FTSE All Cap index that SBI (Schwab) and Rakuten (Vanguard) use over MCSI AWCI used by the other funds. I won't be switching yet, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on these actual cost comparisons.

I do still like eMaxis slim for the fact that it's Japanese-domiciled fund in its own right, rather than reselling US ETFs. For me that's worth a small premium even if it's not the best on cost - although there's not much in it between 0.199% and 0.205%.
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

adamu wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:24 am There's a great comparison table on Shintaro Money of all the available global funds, along with their listed and "actual" costs.

https://shintaro-money.com/index-cost/#i-3

Interesting that SBI comes out cheaper than eMaxis Slim at 0.199% vs 0.205%, even though it's got the tipple taxation problem. Maybe we've been getting too hung up on that? Rakuten and Tawara are both over 0.3%.

I actually prefer the FTSE All Cap index that SBI (Schwab) and Rakuten (Vanguard) use over MCSI AWCI used by the other funds. I won't be switching yet, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on these actual cost comparisons.

I do still like eMaxis slim for the fact that it's Japanese-domiciled fund in its own right, rather than reselling US ETFs. For me that's worth a small premium even if it's not the best on cost - although there's not much in it between 0.199% and 0.205%.
Thank you for the details! I am annoyed at The Rakuten VT pricing, however it is the only choice I currently have for iDeco.

I am mostly Emaxis Slim All Country in my Taxable/NISA. However .006% is not enough for me to justify a switchover to SBI.

Fingers crossed that the pricing war continues, and Emaxis and Rakuten reduce their fees?