About UK ISA/SIPP brokers compatible with non UK resident status

This is a safe space to ask any questions, no matter how basic.
Furancisuko
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

About UK ISA/SIPP brokers compatible with non UK resident status

Post by Furancisuko »

Hi All,

My first post, so that for keeping this forum and congrats to all the expats managing to enjoy their lives in Japan

I am taking a first peek at the considerable number of tasks to do and become one of them :)

I'll try to summarise my case (please raise a flag if you see any wrong assumption in my exposition) I know this might seem too much information for my first question, but i'll use it as template for further queries (you can skip this and go straight to THE QUESTION)

UK tax resident with EU passport, and Japanese spouse UK resident as well

We'll move together. My wife will be a tax resident in Japan from day 1, and I'll be a non permanent tax resident for 5 years, and then become a tax resident.

Plan is to retire, no intention to work in Japan, there’s no inheritance expected, we have no children, and all the income would be from our current assets held in: saving bank accounts (Tesco Bank, Halifax, etc.), ”non-taxable in UK” ISAs and Pension Plans. This assets are split in a variety of: saving banks accounts, individual stock shares, etfs, and funds. We have no house.

THE QUESTION

Do you know what are the best UK ISA/SIPP providers that allow you to keep the account as a non-tax resident? Any advice regarding issues I don’t see now, but I might regret in the future? (for example: they seem compatible, but actually freeze your account when they detect you login from abroad, their reports and documents have a format not compliant with the NTA requirements, etc…)

I am starting to check my ISA/SIPP/Pension Plan providers. Before moving, I’ll need to manage these providers: I’ll need to close some, open new ones, transfer funds from one to another, etc. I am going to contact all of them and ask questions. So far I found this (will update the list with my findings):

ISA and SIPP:

Freetrade: can't keep it abroad. Need to close and transfer
Vanguard: Can keep, but: Only allows to sell and withdraw. No rebalancing.
Investengine: ?
Fundsmith: ?

Workplace Pension Plans
Scottish Widows: ?
Legal & General: ?
Nest: ?
Friends Life/Aviva: ?

ANOTHER QUESTION
My name is really complex, something like this:
Name: Francisco de Miguel
Surname: Jimenez Martinez
How likely is this name going to cause me great trouble in Japan? So far the ANA Mileage points app just doesn’t recognize it when I try to login :D

Thanks!