Tsumitate Nisa Portion Withdrawal Question

Steelengr

Tsumitate Nisa Portion Withdrawal Question

Post by Steelengr »

Pls.bear w/me.Not well verse w/Tsumitate but just invested 2yrs back in Mizuho bank.My Tsumitate looks fine, profits are raising slowly.Just wondering i invested one time,2yrs back.Do i have to initiate another deposit?Why it is not auto deducted to my link savings account ? Also is it possible to withdraw a portion of profit?😬 I know i should been asking my bank but this forum insights are very helpful so really wanted to hear some thoughts.Thank you in advance and sorry for raising a dumb question.
beanhead
Sensei

Re: Tsumitate Nisa Portion Withdrawal Question

Post by beanhead »

Are you sure you started a tsumitate NISA?
As you said, this should have been taken out regularly, every month, if you did.

Yes, it is possible to withdraw any of your NISA holdings at any time (exception is junior NISA).
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Steelengr

Post by Steelengr »

Thank you for your reply.Yes,i am sure.I have the documents which states its Nisa and can access the online banking.

Sharing the snapshot of the Nisa investment i can see online:
beanhead
Sensei

Post by beanhead »

There were 2 kinds of NISA, 'regular' and tsumitate.
If you correctly set up tsumitate and regular amounts are not being added to it, something is wrong. Your only option is to check with your bank.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Tkydon
Sensei

Post by Tkydon »

Steelengr wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 8:04 am Pls.bear w/me.Not well verse w/Tsumitate but just invested 2yrs back in Mizuho bank.My Tsumitate looks fine, profits are raising slowly.Just wondering i invested one time,2yrs back.Do i have to initiate another deposit?Why it is not auto deducted to my link savings account ? Also is it possible to withdraw a portion of profit?😬 I know i should been asking my bank but this forum insights are very helpful so really wanted to hear some thoughts.Thank you in advance and sorry for raising a dumb question.

If you "invested one time, 2yrs back", then

1. This is not New NISA - It is the Old NISA.

2. This may have been set up as an Old Tsumitate NISA, or not (maybe an Old Regular NISA), but you have only paid in a single contribution, so it was not Accumulating Tsumitate...

This Old NISA Account is defunct.

You can remove part or all of the funds whenever you like, completely Tax Free.
If it was a Tsumitate NISA Account, you can keep the funds in the account for the maximum of another 18 years.
If it was a Regular NISA Account, you can only keep the funds in the account for the maximum of another 3 years.

If you want to use NISA, you will have to go and open a New NISA Account under the New NISA system that started at the beginning of this year.
You can use both Tsumitate and Growth Portions; Tsumitate upto Y1.2M per year and Growth Portion upto Y2.4M per year.
See other threads on New NISA.

You could withdraw the funds from the Old NISA and immediately deposit them in NEW NISA Growth Portion.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.