Landline telephone options

Tips to save money in Japan, life better for less, etc.
cocacola
Veteran

Landline telephone options

Post by cocacola »

In order to create a business account at Rakuten bank, I need to have a landline telephone number. They explicitly say that mobile phone numbers are not accepted.

I don't think I've ever had a landline in Japan in the 15-years I've lived here... would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

Oh, and I've posted this in the "Spending and Frugality" forum, as I really don't want to spend much money on something like this!

Thanks for any tips.
beanhead
Sensei

Re: Landline telephone options

Post by beanhead »

Check to see if they accept 050 numbers or other IP Phone numbers.
If they do, your internet service provider is probably the cheapest/easiest place to get a number, and it may even be included in your service already.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
captainspoke
Sensei

Post by captainspoke »

We've had a landline for like forever--from the days when you needed to give a large deposit to NTT to get one (and, "deposit"?--we never got that back). Now, the landline number and line are tacked onto our internet service. I don't think it's much, but I like being able to give that number instead of my cell.

I'll answer if I'm home, but I don't want BS cell calls when driving, cycling, on the bus, or wherever I might be--nor do I want the obligation of returning a missed call. At home, nobody answers, they can try again if they want; stupid cell if they call, they know you can see it and hope you'll call back.
cocacola
Veteran

Post by cocacola »

beanhead wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 9:49 am Check to see if they accept 050 numbers or other IP Phone numbers.
If they do, your internet service provider is probably the cheapest/easiest place to get a number, and it may even be included in your service already.
Oh, I will check with my ISP and also the Rakuten application form, again.

Thank-you!