SIM/eSIM (Europe)

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
TJKansai
Veteran

SIM/eSIM (Europe)

Post by TJKansai »

Is it better to buy a SIM in Europe or use a Japan-based service? I suspect the former is the best choice, but I would like input from those who travel to Europe.

I came across an ad for Maya eSIM which looks good. I have never had an eSIM. Anyone tried it?

https://maya.net/plans/europe
Deep Blue
Veteran

Re: SIM/eSIM (Europe)

Post by Deep Blue »

I use eSIMs exclusively when travelling now. Airalo is the provider I use and have had no problems with them - I think they are all much of a muchness.
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

Stating the obvious maybe, but make sure your phone supports eSIMs before going down that route. Some older models do not. Here's a comprehensive and fairly recent list:
https://esim.holafly.com/how-to/esim-phones/
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

Deep Blue wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:51 am I use eSIMs exclusively when travelling now. Airalo is the provider I use and have had no problems with them - I think they are all much of a muchness.
Good to know. My iPhone is just 2yrs old so should be fine.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

Are you gonna be in Europe long? A lot of the cheaper phone plans come with free roaming now. Ahamo, for example, offers 20 GB free for 14 days.
robster
Regular

Post by robster »

Deep Blue wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:51 am I use eSIMs exclusively when travelling now. Airalo is the provider I use and have had no problems with them - I think they are all much of a muchness.
I second that.... Airalo very useful, surprisingly cheap, good coverage.
hafiz123

Post by hafiz123 »

TJKansai wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:36 am Is it better to buy a SIM in Europe or use a Japan-based service? I suspect the former is the best choice, but I would like input from those who travel to Europe.

I came across an ad for Maya eSIM which looks good. I have never had an eSIM. Anyone tried it?

https://maya.net/plans/europe
Hey TJKansai! I've had experience with both options and I'd recommend buying a SIM in Europe. The rates are usually more competitive and you'll have better coverage. I've used a Japanese-based service before and the roaming fees added up quickly.

As for Maya eSIM, I've heard good things about it. A friend of mine used it on their last trip to Europe and had no issues. The convenience of an eSIM is hard to beat, especially if you're traveling to multiple countries. No need to swap out physical SIMs or worry about running out of space in your phone. If you're considering it, I'd say give it a try!
smalldog
Regular

Post by smalldog »

+1 vote for eSIM with Airalo - I travel overseas almost every month and works seamlessly in every destination. I’ve probably saved thousands of dollars over these years versus paying roaming charges with SoftBank.
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

smalldog wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 6:32 am +1 vote for eSIM with Airalo - I travel overseas almost every month and works seamlessly in every destination. I’ve probably saved thousands of dollars over these years versus paying roaming charges with SoftBank.
Thanks for the tip.
Softbank offered ¥1,000 a day plan (they readily said it didn't make sense too).
My son will stay for 10 months so he'll probably get a local SIM, unless a local eSIM is an option for him too.
guriguri
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by guriguri »

To add to this, does anyone know if there is a UK sim card plan that includes Japan in their plan? We are in the UK, but travel to Japan every year. There are lots of UK sim cards that include destinations in Europe, but are there any that include Japan?