Best place to stash emergency fund

This forum is to discuss anything to do with banks and banking services.
daveo
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Best place to stash emergency fund

Post by daveo »

I've got all basics covered (NISA + legacy Jr NISA, Nenkin, and house paid and solar panels on, and a foreign "in case i gotta go to a ___" account) and now getting 6 months emergency cash sorted.

Question: What is place / plan to stash this money where it is "working for me" – a bit at least – but is still reasonably accessible if something does come up? (Separate from normal month-to-month living expenses money of course).

Thanks for ideas or advice beyond minimal interest normal bank account.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Re: Best place to stash emergency fund

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

This has been discussed many times here, so I suggest a quick search.

Virtually no risk:
Normal bank deposit< Term deposit /JGBs < Term deposit with/bonus rate

Small risk
JGBs index funds or Inflation index JGBs.

Medium (ish) Risk (due to currency)
Hedged or hedged foreign bonds (indexed or directly bought)
William
Regular

Post by William »

For now, my emergency funds are in various "virtually no risk" options.

Now, I'm curious about JGBs index funds.

I found on another topic the mention of eMAXIS 国内物価連動国債インデックス, with a comment that its 0.44%ER makes it kinda high. But on Monex, I also found this fund: 東京海上セレクション・物価連動国債, with a 0.275% ER.

Does it mean that this last fund is "better?" When it comes to those funds that are simply linked to price index, should we simply look at the best ER and call it a day? Is it that simple?
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

In a big Japanese natural disaster, it might not be easy to sell funds quickly. I prefer cash.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

William wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:37 am For now, my emergency funds are in various "virtually no risk" options.

Now, I'm curious about JGBs index funds.

I found on another topic the mention of eMAXIS 国内物価連動国債インデックス, with a comment that its 0.44%ER makes it kinda high. But on Monex, I also found this fund: 東京海上セレクション・物価連動国債, with a 0.275% ER.

Does it mean that this last fund is "better?" When it comes to those funds that are simply linked to price index, should we simply look at the best ER and call it a day? Is it that simple?
That Emaxis Fund is not a "slim" fund. Thus it is more expensive. The Toyko Marine one is fine.

However, these funds have their downsides. Be sure you understand how inflation linked bonds operate.
daveo
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by daveo »

Just a friendly thanks for the tips and i'll poke around the forum more for further reading as you suggested.

cheers from Okayama
Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:02 am This has been discussed many times here, so I suggest a quick search.

Virtually no risk:
Normal bank deposit< Term deposit /JGBs < Term deposit with/bonus rate

Small risk
JGBs index funds or Inflation index JGBs.

Medium (ish) Risk (due to currency)
Hedged or hedged foreign bonds (indexed or directly bought)