Home (and earthquake) insurance

William
Regular

Home (and earthquake) insurance

Post by William »

Hello everyone,

I'm reaching out to inquire about your experiences with home insurance. Currently, I'm renting a place that I discovered years ago through イエブル. As part of my rental agreement, there's a mandatory insurance policy covering fire, water damage, and related issues. From what I gather, this seems to be a legal requirement here in Japan.

The cost of this insurance is, I think, super reasonable, at just ¥20,100 for a two-year period. However, as I approach renewal time, I've noticed that earthquake insurance is not included in this policy. They've made it explicitly clear.

I'm curious about your thoughts on the value of earthquake insurance, particularly for renters like myself. Additionally, I've heard that earthquake insurance expenses may qualify for deductions similar to iDeco contributions, potentially affecting one's annual tax return.
Tkydon
Sage

Re: Home (and earthquake) insurance

Post by Tkydon »

William wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 2:17 am Hello everyone,

I'm reaching out to inquire about your experiences with home insurance. Currently, I'm renting a place that I discovered years ago through イエブル. As part of my rental agreement, there's a mandatory insurance policy covering fire, water damage, and related issues. From what I gather, this seems to be a legal requirement here in Japan.
Yes
William wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 2:17 am The cost of this insurance is, I think, super reasonable, at just ¥20,100 for a two-year period. However, as I approach renewal time, I've noticed that earthquake insurance is not included in this policy. They've made it explicitly clear.

I'm curious about your thoughts on the value of earthquake insurance, particularly for renters like myself. Additionally, I've heard that earthquake insurance expenses may qualify for deductions similar to iDeco contributions, potentially affecting one's annual tax return.
If there is no Earthquake, it's a cost.
If there is an Earthquake, and you are displaced because your building is damaged, you would get some compensation...

All Insurance Premiums you pay can be deducted from your Taxable Income, either through Year End Tax Adjustment - Nenmatsu Chosei, or through Tax Filing - Kakutei Shinkoku, so you do not pay tax on those insurance Premiums, or looking at it another way, the government pays 30-50% of the premium with the taxes saved that you would have otherwise paid...
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

Tkydon wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:40 am
All Insurance Premiums you pay can be deducted from your Taxable Income, either through Year End Tax Adjustment - Nenmatsu Chosei, or through Tax Filing - Kakutei Shinkoku, so you do not pay tax on those insurance Premiums, or looking at it another way, the government pays 30-50% of the premium with the taxes saved that you would have otherwise paid...
I was under the impression only earthquake insurance premiums were deductible, not the standard home insurance, and have been claiming that only. Are you sure that all insurance premiums are deductible?
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

Beaglehound wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:55 am
I was under the impression only earthquake insurance premiums were deductible, not the standard home insurance, and have been claiming that only. Are you sure that all insurance premiums are deductible?
You are correct. Tax deductions are available on

Social Insurance Premiums (Health Insurance Premiums, Public Pension Contributions and iDeCo Contributions)
Small Enterprise Mutual Aid Contributions
Life Insurance Premiums
Earthquake Insurance Premiums

but not for standard home insurance.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

William wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 2:17 am Hello everyone,

Yes
William wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 2:17 am The cost of this insurance is, I think, super reasonable, at just ¥20,100 for a two-year period. However, as I approach renewal time, I've noticed that earthquake insurance is not included in this policy. They've made it explicitly clear.

If there is no Earthquake, it's a cost.
If there is an Earthquake, and you are displaced because your building is damaged, you would get some compensation...

Insurance Premiums, including:
Social Insurance Premiums (Health Insurance Premiums, Public Pension Contributions and iDeCo Contributions)
Small Enterprise Mutual Aid Contributions
Life Insurance Premiums
Earthquake Insurance Premiums

can be deducted from your Taxable Income, either through Year End Tax Adjustment - Nenmatsu Chosei, or through Tax Filing - Kakutei Shinkoku, so you do not pay tax on those insurance Premiums, or looking at it another way, the government pays 30-50% of the premium with the taxes saved that you would have otherwise paid...
:
:

William
Regular

Post by William »

Tkydon wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:40 am If there is no Earthquake, it's a cost.
Thank you for your answer. I guess until now I didn't really see the need for such insurance since I don't own the place, and the things I own could easily get replaced. However, I didn't think about what happens when/if I need to move somewhere else.