Trading account options as a non-resident

kansaifolk
Regular

Trading account options as a non-resident

Post by kansaifolk »

Does anyone know about the possibility of having a stock account with Rakuten, or SBI, or any other trading houses as a non-resident? I understand I would not be eligible for NISA as a non-resident, but I'm looking for just a regular trading account that doesn't require me to prove my residency with gainjin card, etc., and actually allow non-residents to hold the account and trade, and do the required withholding tax (I believe 25% for a non-resident).
captainspoke
Sage

Re: Trading account options as a non-resident

Post by captainspoke »

Given all the stories about new people to japan not being to open even a bank account* until they're been here for six months, I very much doubt this is possible.

They would want your residence card and My Number, too (and probably images of the front and back of both).

*except japan post bank
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

captainspoke wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:04 am Given all the stories about new people to japan not being to open even a bank account* until they're been here for six months, I very much doubt this is possible.

They would want your residence card and My Number, too (and probably images of the front and back of both).

https://money-career.com/article/2489#

All signs point to this not being possible given that Japanese people’s accounts should become unusable if they go to live abroad.
Interesting comment about the mynumber card being a way to get, ahem, exposed as it were. (Oh err..)
"That guy"
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

kansaifolk wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:03 am Does anyone know about the possibility of having a stock account with Rakuten, or SBI, or any other trading houses as a non-resident?
I doubt it too. (My partner was able to open a financial account while non-resident more than a decade ago, but even then I think it was because she was going to become resident in Japan again.)

Is this to be a temporary arrangement, where you are to be non-resident for a time, before becoming resident again thereafter, and you are seeking continuity?

If you just want to trade individual Japanese stocks, I think you would be able to find an offering where you are resident that gives that access. One example, I have an IG securities demo account in my home country - it has Japanese stocks available, but I cannot open the account there proper as I am resident here in Japan, not there. That’s CFDs, but interactive brokers could be another option.