Bitcoin ETF

nagasakirams
Regular

Bitcoin ETF

Post by nagasakirams »

Are there any brokers in Japan that allow buying of Bitcoin ETFs? On Interactive Brokers, they seem to be off limit to Japanese residents.
I don't want to buy Bitcoin itself because tax on any profits is too high.
northSaver
Veteran

Re: Bitcoin ETF

Post by northSaver »

Personally I'd be surprised if profits from crypto ETFs are taxed differently in Japan to spot purchases. Can anyone confirm this?
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

nagasakirams wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:27 am Are there any brokers in Japan that allow buying of Bitcoin ETFs? On Interactive Brokers, they seem to be off limit to Japanese residents.
No. None.

The FSA has also not hinted to allowing any listings.
nagasakirams
Regular

Post by nagasakirams »

northSaver wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:00 pm Personally I'd be surprised if profits from crypto ETFs are taxed differently in Japan to spot purchases. Can anyone confirm this?
ETFs are usually taxed at the same rate as stocks. Crypto is taxed as income.
nagasakirams
Regular

Post by nagasakirams »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:33 pm
nagasakirams wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:27 am Are there any brokers in Japan that allow buying of Bitcoin ETFs? On Interactive Brokers, they seem to be off limit to Japanese residents.
No. None.

Thanks. Any idea about why?
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

nagasakirams wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:30 pm ETFs are usually taxed at the same rate as stocks. Crypto is taxed as income.
If this is the case then that probably explains why Japanese residents can't buy the ETF versions. Wouldn't it be strange for the same underlying investment to be taxed in different ways depending on how you bought it? :)

Edit: Maybe not so strange. I wonder what are the tax implications of owning physical gold vs ETF gold?
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

nagasakirams wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:42 pm
No. None.

The FSA is conservative and is looking to protect investors. The SEC was looking to do the same but was forced by the courts to allow an ETF.
nagasakirams
Regular

Post by nagasakirams »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:38 am

No. None.

The FSA is conservative and is looking to protect investors. The SEC was looking to do the same but was forced by the courts to allow an ETF.
I wonder why a bitcoin ETF is considered so dangerous we need to be protected. We can buy the real thing on Bitcoin exchanges.
cocacola
Regular

Post by cocacola »

nagasakirams wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:37 am I wonder why a bitcoin ETF is considered so dangerous we need to be protected. We can buy the real thing on Bitcoin exchanges.
Maybe the greater accessibility makes it "riskier" to a greater number of people?

Buying bitcoin from an exchange is about the same pain-in-ass level as starting a NISA account (which is quite painful).

If people already have a brokerage account and the ETF is available to purchase, I am pretty sure a lot of people would put their money into it.
Yutaka2024
Regular

Post by Yutaka2024 »

nagasakirams wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:37 am
Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:38 am

I wonder why a bitcoin ETF is considered so dangerous we need to be protected. We can buy the real thing on Bitcoin exchanges.
I would rather own the real thing vs ETF, but the etf is going to allowed instutional money to come into crypto sphere and pump bitcoin to mid six figure prices in years to come