Rakuten zairyu card registration deadling is Dec 11

RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Rakuten zairyu card registration deadling is Dec 11

Post by RetireJapan »

Telebroker wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:28 pm Here is the background story for why banks have become so cautious on the subject of foreigner held accounts and potential residence expirations:
Fraudsters in Japan use foreigners' bank accounts in cash grab: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news ... ries/2860/
20% of accounts, just over 300(!) are in foreigners names? That doesn't seem to justify singling out 3m foreign residents like this. What are banks doing about the 80%, or 1200 accounts (still a trivial number) in Japanese names?

It's just easier to do this to non-Japanese customers. Japanese ones would not stand for it.

My main objection to this is how the forms are worded: Japanese -> no action required. Non-Japanese -> please submit all kinds of sensitive documents to prevent terrorism and money laundering :roll:

Surely it would be relatively easy to do a check on all customers to see if they are still living where they said they are (by sending something by post once a year).
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
eyeswideshut
Veteran

Post by eyeswideshut »

2nd time lucky and my zairyu card was approved. Japan now remains safe from money laundering and terrorism until my card expires in 2029.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

eyeswideshut wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:20 am 2nd time lucky and my zairyu card was approved. Japan now remains safe from money laundering and terrorism until my card expires in 2029.
Sorry to jump in here

DID you match the Romaji on the residents card,with what you put into Rakuten? because Rakuten has my name in Katakana but my resident card is in Romaji.

I feel like Wile E Coyote, trying to catch the road runner with this name thing. me! me!. It never seems to work. Or a game show called. Welcome to GUESS YOUR VERY OWN NAME. LOL Hosted by the japanese government. LOL
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

Bubblegun wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:56 pm
eyeswideshut wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:20 am 2nd time lucky and my zairyu card was approved. Japan now remains safe from money laundering and terrorism until my card expires in 2029.
Sorry to jump in here

DID you match the Romaji on the residents card,with what you put into Rakuten? because Rakuten has my name in Katakana but my resident card is in Romaji.

I feel like Wile E Coyote, trying to catch the road runner with this name thing. me! me!. It never seems to work. Or a game show called. Welcome to GUESS YOUR VERY OWN NAME. LOL Hosted by the japanese government. LOL
Rakuten probably has your name in Romaji, and in Katakana, it certainly does for me under the detailed profile. Double-check under "お客様情報一覧" under the menu at the top right on the Securities page.

Write your name exactly as it is on your card.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

Thanks for that. Wrote my name “exactly” the same as my residents card.here’s hoping but I am bracing myself.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
entdark
Regular

Post by entdark »

I noticed my purchases didn't go through and then found the notification for this.

Let's hope the residence card goes through :lol: