Rakuten zairyu card registration deadling is Dec 11

RetireJapan
Site Admin

Rakuten zairyu card registration deadling is Dec 11

Post by RetireJapan »

Just got an email from Rakuten encouraging me to submit my zairyu card details. They say if this is not done by December 11th they will freeze the account and not permit any new transactions.

Gah.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
beanhead
Sage

Re: Rakuten zairyu card registration deadling is Dec 11

Post by beanhead »

Yeah. Annoying but best to just grit your teeth and send it.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

With a carrot and stick approach, it's nice that they're clarifying what the stick is.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

beanhead wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:58 am Yeah. Annoying but best to just grit your teeth and send it.
No choice it seems. Don't want to deal with the name thing though 😭

Rakuten Securities, bank, Shinsei, CC... aargh.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
eyeswideshut
Veteran

Post by eyeswideshut »

Stuff like this really ticks me off - because I am not a citizen it means I am automatically suspected of money laundering? Of course no Japanese citizen would ever do such a thing and all of those pachinko parlors, mahjong joints and mizushobai bars are honest upstanding cash-based businesses that would never associate with dirty money. Perish the thought!

Anyway, I guess I had better do this before I forget and my account gets frozen.
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

Stuff like this really ticks me off - because I am not a citizen it means I am automatically suspected of money laundering? Of course no Japanese citizen would ever do such a thing
Amen.
eyeswideshut
Veteran

Post by eyeswideshut »

JohKun wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:10 pm
eyeswideshut wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:31 pm Stuff like this really ticks me off - because I am not a citizen it means I am automatically suspected of money laundering?
To be fair
it’s not about money laundry or suspicion but about updating the residence status.

Besides seeing from many of the posts here there seems to be quite some undeclared overseas income in the community, suspicions may be kind of justified…
THe notification said 当社では、マネー・ローンダリング防止及びテロ資金供与対策の一環として、外国籍のお客様について、在留期間(満了日)の登録をお願いしております。
「在留カード」または「特別永住者証明書」をご提出の上、在留期間の登録をお願いいたします。Thus it specifically called out money laundering and terrorism. It has nothing to do with tax evasion which is an entirely separate matter.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

JohKun wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:10 pm To be fair
it’s not about money laundry or suspicion but about updating the residence status.

Besides seeing from many of the posts here there seems to be quite some undeclared overseas income in the community, suspicions may be kind of justified…

I don’t like it either that I have to give up my overseas accounts etc, but it’s not just here.

I just needed to pay over $20 for a US visa waiver and was almost denied to board the flight even though I am just changing flights…I am so looking forward to be back in Japan, even I have to snail mail my zairyu ka-do because the online photo function didn’t work for me…
Rakuten already has my My Number information, so there is no danger of tax evasion here. Quite why they decided they need the expiration date of my zairyu card to prevent money laundering and terrorism I am not sure :roll:

For me the huge issue is the name change. The exact name on my zairyu card is not the name on my Rakuten Securities account, Rakuten Bank account, Rakuten credit card, Shinsei Bank account... :(

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

I wonder if opening a new account with your zairyu card name, then transferring the assets from the old account to the new account might be one option if they get arsey about name change.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Deep Blue wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:40 am I wonder if opening a new account with your zairyu card name, then transferring the assets from the old account to the new account might be one option if they get arsey about name change.
Don't see how that would help! The issue is that I expect they will want to change the name on my securities account to match zairyu card, which will break all the links to the other accounts...

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)