Investing in UK shares?

Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Investing in UK shares?

Post by Roger Van Zant »

I have existing accounts with SBI (t-NISA) and Monex (iDeCo). Is it possible to buy UK shares through either of these brokers? Which one makes like easier?
Thanks.
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Investing in UK shares?

Post by RetireJapan »

I don't think this is possible. I haven't come across any Japan brokers with access to UK shares. You might have to go through Interactive Brokers or a UK/European broker for that (the big Singapore brokers have access too).
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

Is there access to the US market--NYSE? A number of UK shares are listed there as ADRs (american depositary receipts). So this might be a workaround for some of the big names. One thing about the UK is there's no tax withheld on dividends, unlike many other countries.

Tho I suppose the US may hold 10% since you're not American? (perhaps only important if that's what you're after)
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

What's worth buying in your opinion? Pretty dismal of late, no IPOs etc.. the recent Nasdaq Arm listing was a huge blow.
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:02 pm What's worth buying in your opinion? Pretty dismal of late, no IPOs etc.. the recent Nasdaq Arm listing was a huge blow.
IAG, owner of British Airways, is quite undervalued, I reckon.
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

RetireJapan wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:11 am I don't think this is possible. I haven't come across any Japan brokers with access to UK shares. You might have to go through Interactive Brokers or a UK/European broker for that (the big Singapore brokers have access too).
Damn. I don’t really want the bother of opening yet another broker account and all the nonsense that is involved. Have you come across any Japan brokers with access to US shares?
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

Roger Van Zant wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:40 am
RetireJapan wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:11 am I don't think this is possible. I haven't come across any Japan brokers with access to UK shares. You might have to go through Interactive Brokers or a UK/European broker for that (the big Singapore brokers have access too).
Damn. I don’t really want the bother of opening yet another broker account and all the nonsense that is involved. Have you come across any Japan brokers with access to US shares?
Lots. Monex has the most offerings and the best platform for US shares. Rakuten is great. SBI is okay, but you need a separate level of approval for foreign shares, annoyingly.

All the other brokers should have US offerings.

There is little demand for UK shares, even FTSE 100 index funds are almost nonexistent.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

Roger Van Zant wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:38 am
Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:02 pm What's worth buying in your opinion? Pretty dismal of late, no IPOs etc.. the recent Nasdaq Arm listing was a huge blow.
IAG, owner of British Airways, is quite undervalued, I reckon.
The UK stock market is a shadow of its former self, following in Tokyo's footsteps..... Brexit hasn't helped, but I think the biggest impact was British pensions being forced to invest in UK gilts instead of British stocks. We can blame Robert Maxwell for that.
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

Generally, (don't know for your particular providers) Tsumitate NISA and iDECO providers only allow you to purchase Mutual Funds in those accounts.
You would own the UK market through Developed Country Mutual Funds and Index Funds...

I think the New NISA will give you access to individual stocks, ETFs and other assets, so you should ask your NISA Provider about access in 2024...
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
eetc155

Post by eetc155 »

I have a Saxo bank account here just for buying UK stocks.

They will be lowering their fees in April.