Using UK SIM card with Japan iPhone

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
JimmyK
Regular

Using UK SIM card with Japan iPhone

Post by JimmyK »

Hi there. I’m trying to establish a UK mobile number in Japan, as part of the ID process needed for opening a UK bank account (I’m a UK National and used to have a UK account, but made the mistake of failing to use it and it was closed). I bought a ‘pay as you go’ UK SIM card online and installed it in an old iPhone, but I can’t get it to recognize the UK network (‘3’) that the card is supposed to connect with. My iPhone is set to UK region and roaming is on. I even tried setting up a VPN with a UK server, but no joy. The list of carriers available in the settings menu is still only showing Japan carriers. Any ideas anyone?
adamu
Sage

Re: Using UK SIM card with Japan iPhone

Post by adamu »

My guess is that you have to activate it on the UK network first by being physically connected to it.

You can get a local number with Skype. https://secure.skype.com/en/skype-number/

Edit: ah I misread and thought you were trying to activate it in Japan. I don't know how JP iphones work with UK SIMs, sorry. I do know that carriers like to do shenanigans like locking the phone down so you can't use it elsewhere, justified by the fact they subsidise the phone price. The Skype number might still be an option, though. FWIW my bank account uses my Japanese number, although I opened it with a UK one when I was living there.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

JimmyK wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:36 pm Hi there. I’m trying to establish a UK mobile number in Japan, as part of the ID process needed for opening a UK bank account (I’m a UK National and used to have a UK account, but made the mistake of failing to use it and it was closed). I bought a ‘pay as you go’ UK SIM card online and installed it in an old iPhone, but I can’t get it to recognize the UK network (‘3’) that the card is supposed to connect with. My iPhone is set to UK region and roaming is on. I even tried setting up a VPN with a UK server, but no joy. The list of carriers available in the settings menu is still only showing Japan carriers. Any ideas anyone?
There are British offshore building societies that allow you to open new accounts with a Japanese address. It is however difficult to open a new bank account with a high street bank.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

No idea if this is appropriate but is WISE an alternative?
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.