How to buy ETF (etc) with credit cards

trajan
Regular

How to buy ETF (etc) with credit cards

Post by trajan »

Is it possible to buy index funds with a credit card? I am thinking of SMBC GOLD NL, since it has a good points system.

This is not through iDeco, NISA, Tsumitate, or anything like that.

The idea is to use Rakuten Securities or MUFG.

I think that with Rakuten you can use their own card, do not know about MUFG.

Thanks in advance.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Re: How to buy ETF (etc) with credit cards

Post by zeroshiki »

What does "tsumitate or anything like that" mean? You want to make spot trades with a credit card?
You can use your SMBC card to purchase mutual funds tsumitate-style on SBI Securities. That's the only thing they will allow you to use credit cards for.
trajan
Regular

Post by trajan »

Thanks for the quick reply.

I mean buy funds directly, not via iDeco, etc.

Thanks for the heads up on SBI Securities. I will check it out.

It should be evident that I am just trying to rack up points on a CC while purchasing funds. It appears MUFJ only takes orders via bank transfers, so that's out.

How do you go about it? I mean, which CC + broker? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks again.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

trajan wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:59 am Thanks for the quick reply.

It should be evident that I am just trying to rack up points on a CC while purchasing funds. It appears MUFJ only takes orders via bank transfers, so that's out.

How do you go about it? I mean, which CC + broker? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks again.

Points are only rewarded for tsumitate {regulatory scheduled monthly payments} (nISA or non nISA, not ideco) purchases.*

SBI - SMBC Vpoint cards up to 5% points back per 5man monthly monthly investment with platinum card, 1% gold, .5% free.

Rakuten - .5% points with Rakuten cash and Rakuten card.

Monex 1.1% with money card

Kabir - 1% with a Kabu branded card

*Rakuten has Precious metal tsumitate as well
trajan
Regular

Post by trajan »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:18 pm
trajan wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:59 am Thanks for the quick reply.

Thanks again.

Points are only rewarded for tsumitate {regulatory scheduled monthly payments} (nISA or non nISA, not ideco) purchases.*

SBI - SMBC Vpoint cards up to 5% points back per 5man monthly monthly investment with platinum card, 1% gold, .5% free.

Rakuten - .5% points with Rakuten cash and Rakuten card.

Monex 1.1% with money card

Kabir - 1% with a Kabu branded card

*Rakuten has Precious metal tsumitate as well
Thank you for the detailed answer. This helps a lot.

However, monthly payments are not what I'm after here (nor is it ideco or nisa).

I am talking about a single purchase (think of a bonus) of ~1 million yen once per year. Which of those options would seem best to you in this situation?
TBS

Post by TBS »

trajan wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:36 pm However, monthly payments are not what I'm after here (nor is it ideco or nisa).

I am talking about a single purchase (think of a bonus) of ~1 million yen once per year. Which of those options would seem best to you in this situation?
None will work unfortunately - it has to be tsumitate.
trajan
Regular

Post by trajan »

TBS wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:41 am
trajan wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:36 pm However, monthly payments are not what I'm after here (nor is it ideco or nisa).

None will work unfortunately - it has to be tsumitate.
I should have known. Everyone gets bonuses and, eventually, the retirement payout. It makes sense that "bulk" purchases do not count for CC points, etc.

Thank you.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

trajan wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:22 am It makes sense that "bulk" purchases do not count for CC points, etc.
The real reason is that CC companies pay you points to keep you using the CC and earning them money + data about your behaviour. If you only do a one-off purchase, there's not much value in it for them, thus they're not going to reward you for it.