Saison Global Balance Fund

Owly

Re: Saison Global Balance Fund

Post by Owly »

Bubblegun wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:38 am Bubblegun wrote: ↑
Thank you Bubblegun - that is very useful info.
I think I will probably keep my current Saison NISA for the time being and open a new tsumitate NISA with Rakuten for my wife with a different broker. I will probably also open a JNISA and put the maximum Y800 000 in there. Then open a couple of new NISA accounts next year and put whatever funds are available into those.

beanhead wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:07 pm
We all have different attitudes to risk and different investing experiences.
Your experience is that this fund has done well for you, whereas the S&P500 fund has not. As you said, it was all that was available, so you did what you needed to do to take care of your family.
If your S&P500 investment is fairly recent, then poor performance can be explained by the drop in value of most markets over the last couple of years. Many of us have seen the same fall in values. After around 2 years, my iDeCo is slightly negative.

Is it worth selling them? Only you can decide.
I would be inclined to initially move all new investment money to eMaxis Slim in the NISA. Once you trust that this is a good strategy for you, then maybe it makes sense to sell the other funds to add to your NISA.

*New NISA is not unlimited. You will be able to invest 3.6M yen per year, up to a maximum of 18M per person in the NISA account.
As far as I understand, the maximum will be 2.4M and not 3.6M per year for a regular NISA up to 18M. Or am I wrong about that?

I was thinking along the same lines - from next year invest as much as possible in the something like eMaxis Slim in the new NISAs and then move other funds in there at a later date if it seems wise.

I have another question. I understand the rationale for a tsumitate NISA being the best bet if you are opening a NISA in 2023. But am I right in saying that in the new NISA in 2024, the regular type seems like the best bet if you have the money sitting around and want to maximize returns in the long-term? Also there is a wider variety of investment products available for consideration in a regular NISA compared to a tsumitate NISA, right?
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

Owly wrote:Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:49 pm
I think I will probably keep my current Saison NISA for the time being and open a new tsumitate NISA with Rakuten for my wife with a different broker. I will probably also open a JNISA and put the maximum Y800 000 in there. Then open a couple of new NISA accounts next year and put whatever funds are available into those.

Your experience is that this fund has done well for you, whereas the S&P500 fund has not. As you said, it was all that was available, so you did what you needed to do to take care of your family.
If your S&P500 investment is fairly recent, then poor performance can be explained by the drop in value of most markets over the last couple of years. Many of us have seen the same fall in values. After around 2 years, my iDeCo is slightly negative.

I would be inclined to initially move all new investment money to eMaxis Slim in the NISA. Once you trust that this is a good strategy for you, then maybe it makes sense to sell the other funds to add to your NISA.

*New NISA is not unlimited. You will be able to invest 3.6M yen per year, up to a maximum of 18M per person in the NISA account.
As far as I understand, the maximum will be 2.4M and not 3.6M per year for a regular NISA up to 18M. Or am I wrong about that?

I was thinking along the same lines - from next year invest as much as possible in the something like eMaxis Slim in the new NISAs and then move other funds in there at a later date if it seems wise.

I have another question. I understand the rationale for a tsumitate NISA being the best bet if you are opening a NISA in 2023. But am I right in saying that in the new NISA in 2024, the regular type seems like the best bet if you have the money sitting around and want to maximize returns in the long-term? Also there is a wider variety of investment products available for consideration in a regular NISA compared to a tsumitate NISA, right?
You have it a bit twisted.

https://www.retirejapan.com/blog/tag/nisa/
Bubblegun wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:38 am So my next question would be...is it worth selling them, and putting the money into the Emaxi S&p500?
Are these retirement funds?
How old are you, how many years until retirement?
What is your risk tolerance?
What are your other sources of income in retirement?

If your younger than 50 I think most people here would recommend a heavy stock allocation in a lower fee, diversified fund.

You Emaxis Slim s&p500 / Developed countries or All countries.

I favor the later.
Owly

Post by Owly »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:53 pm
Thank you - that clears things up. I had been looking at this dodgy source.

https://www.nippon.com/en/japan-data/h01533/

One question - it says we are able to invest up to 1.2M in mutual funds and 2.4M in whatever we like in the new NISA. So I assume we can put the 2.4M in mutual funds too if we choose?
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

The results you got so far sound better than a nasty gakushi hoken product that I was made to pay into.

I guess your kids may be getting close to uni age now too, so if that money is gonna pay for it then bond heavy seems like a decent idea for that purpose.
Well, they were certainly much better than a UK endowment fund.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:53 pm
Owly wrote:Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:49 pm

https://www.retirejapan.com/blog/tag/nisa/
Bubblegun wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:38 am So my next question would be...is it worth selling them, and putting the money into the Emaxi S&p500?
Are these retirement funds?
How old are you, how many years until retirement?
What is your risk tolerance?
What are your other sources of income in retirement?

If you're younger than 50 I think most people here would recommend a heavy stock allocation in a lower-fee, diversified fund.

You Emaxis Slim s&p500 / Developed countries or All countries.

I favor the later.
Thanks for the link regarding the new NISA. Looks like I misunderstood certain elements.
My NISA will be for retirement,
I'm 55 and I have about 12 years before retirement.
My risk tolerance is pretty high at the moment. But I do DCA with 4.5 million yen over the past year. ( i think I had a brain fart doing that while in the bear market).
My Emaxi is eMAXIS Slim 米国株式(S&P500)

My other pensions include.
UK pension.£10,000
One work pension starts at 60.Only about £1500
The second work pension starts at 60. Only about £1500
Rental income is £500 per month at today's rates.
Japanese pension. maybe 20 years' worth of contributions, so I have no idea how much that will be.
Fuka nenkin. Not a lot but it will buy a cup of tea.LOL
Then I hope the NISA funds will pick up some more.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Bubblegun wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:15 pm One work pension starts at 60.Only about £1500
The second work pension starts at 60. Only about £1500.
You could consider rolling these up into a SIPP. Old work pensions tend to be invested in strange funds and have high fees. You might get better performance by choosing low cost index funds on a (lowish) fee platform. However I've not seriously looked into the options for a non-resident.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

adamu wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:53 am
Bubblegun wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:15 pm One work pension starts at 60.Only about £1500
The second work pension starts at 60. Only about £1500.
You could consider rolling these up into a SIPP. Old work pensions tend to be invested in strange funds and have high fees. You might get better performance by choosing low-cost index funds on a (lowish) fee platform. However, I've not seriously looked into the options for a non-resident.
Really? I was under the impression that the old government superannuations were better than say a fund. Many teachers, police officers, nurses et al were tricked to move their government pension to a private pension.

One advantage is that both Superannuation starts at 60 years old, provide a small lump sum, and are indexed and linked. So do you think it might be worth moving if they have 4 and a half years left to run? I suppose if i transferred them I could delay taking that pension.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Bubblegun wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:12 am Really? I was under the impression that the old government superannuations were better than say a fund.
Ah sorry I was assuming you had a private pension. Don't know anything about superannuations!
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

adamu wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:54 am
Bubblegun wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:12 am Really? I was under the impression that the old government superannuations were better than say a fund.
Ah sorry I was assuming you had a private pension. Don't know anything about superannuation!
Thanks for that idea. I'm going to look into it. Maybe someone else can chip in.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

There is one thing with this fund I forgot to mention.
We started this before there were the NISA funds so there will be a charge to pay when you make a withdrawal.
Now according to the wife, it can be 10% of the amount you withdraw. She said its the tax.
So it is probably not worth adding any more money to it and putting this year's payments into the 2023 NISA.
We started a long time ago so It looks like we are lumbered with the tax situation. Thankfully I opened the NISA when it started.
If only they had started the NISA thing years ago.
Oh well....couldn't be helped.