Any Crowd Bank experiences

UnderscoreEX
Regular

Any Crowd Bank experiences

Post by UnderscoreEX »

I did a search on the forums but I didn't catch anything on this topic, but I'm sure people here will know about it.
Have any of you used CrowdBank (https://crowdbank.jp/)
Would you recommend it as a trustworthy investment platform/ place to keep savings for some returns.

They have a lot of options that get snatched up quick.
https://crowdbank.jp/funds/search/?keyw ... us=&page=1

Would you recommend it? Any things to keep in mind when using it?

Thanks in advance.
beanhead
Sage

Re: Any Crowd Bank experiences

Post by beanhead »

Looks good if you are interested in concentrated risk.

I try to avoid things that look like 'get rich quick schemes'. I have not bought crypto for the same reason.
Of course some people will probably make lots of money from these kind of investments/gambles.
Good luck to them!
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
UnderscoreEX
Regular

Post by UnderscoreEX »

beanhead wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:45 pm Looks good if you are interested in concentrated risk.

I try to avoid things that look like 'get rich quick schemes'. I have not bought crypto for the same reason.
Of course some people will probably make lots of money from these kind of investments/gambles.
Good luck to them!
Thanks for the reply!
I definitely stayed away from crypto for the same reason as you. I actually found this crowdbank idea from a popular youtube channel, Dogen, who suggested it can be used as a somewhat high yield savings account.

If not for this type of platform, would you have any other suggestions for short-term, high(er) yield savings? This is money that I don't want to tie up in the market and may use in the next 1-2 years. Most bank accounts have almost no interest.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

This isn't savings. The risk profile of a savings account and this is vastly different. It's basically a bond except they don't go through the hassle of actually issuing bonds and actually getting rated. You're giving them a loan for the return they're promising you.
UnderscoreEX
Regular

Post by UnderscoreEX »

zeroshiki wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:07 am This isn't savings. The risk profile of a savings account and this is vastly different. It's basically a bond except they don't go through the hassle of actually issuing bonds and actually getting rated. You're giving them a loan for the return they're promising you.
Yes, it is certainly not a savings account. This was given as an alternative to long term investing and approx. 0% interest savings accounts at a bank, both of which are not suitable for medium term savings.
Do you know of an alternative that gives some interest but isn't a long term investment, like a ~3% interest savings account for example.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

Rakuten Mobile was giving out 4% yield on 5 year bonds. Say what you will about Rakuten Mobile but at least that was an actual financial instrument and not basically jumped up kickstarter.

There are no short term high-yield low-risk instruments in Japan. You need risk for any yield.

If having the money be liquid is important to you then you should hold onto it. That's the cost of the liquidity.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

個別投資案件に関する手数料・リスク・借主情報等は、投資家には開示されていない(2015年1月末現在) Fees, risks, borrower information, etc. for individual investment projects are not disclosed to investors (as of the end of January 2015)

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%97%A5 ... C%E5%88%B8

:(
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

zeroshiki wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:55 am Rakuten Mobile was giving out 4% yield on 5 year bonds.
Interesting. I've never really looked into corporate bonds. Do you have a good starting point?
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

adamu wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:43 pm
zeroshiki wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:55 am Rakuten Mobile was giving out 4% yield on 5 year bonds.
Interesting. I've never really looked into corporate bonds. Do you have a good starting point?
Due to large denomination retail investors did not really touch corporate bonds, as there was little available for the average person.

This seems to be changing: https://siiibo.com/articles/corporate-b ... l-investor
Corporate bonds for individuals are issued in small lots with a minimum purchase price of several hundred thousand yen to around one million yen so that even individual investors can purchase them. The share of retail corporate bonds in corporate bond issuance will be roughly between 15% and 20% in 2022.