What is going on with Interactive Brokers Japan? Any updates?

eagleyes
Regular

Re: What is going on with Interactive Brokers Japan? Any updates?

Post by eagleyes »

Is IBKR dealing with Tokutei Koza now or you still have to sort out your taxes by yourself (Ippan)?
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

Xanday wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:30 am I got an email a few days stating that my account transfer was complete but now I try to convert currency and I get this error:

Code: Select all

You are restricted to closing orders pending a response to our transfer invite. The transfer details and opportunity to accept or decline are here: https://ibkr.com/sso/Login
Anybody with the same issue?
They only deal in yen at present.
Xanday
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by Xanday »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:56 am They only deal in yen at present.
Thanks for the reply. You are totally right.
I contacted them just in case and it looks like there was also a close-only restriction in place that they kindly removed, so all good now :)
FlamingWombat
Regular

Post by FlamingWombat »

I finally got another email from them today saying I need to confirm the changeover by August 31st. So things should be moving again.
tokyolights

Post by tokyolights »

I wanna hijack this thread to ask about how y'all fund your IBs, since I got a friend who is saying that there is no reasonable way to do it at the moment. The Wise route charges you a lot in conversion fees (inside IB it appears to be no-fees for FX?), and the CitiBank route doesn't seem to work due to the strange account number they have. I found this thread from a while back and it appears that the best way is through an SMBC account with 800 yen fee. Has there been any further discoveries in this front?
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

tokyolights wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:54 pm I wanna hijack this thread to ask about how y'all fund your IBs, since I got a friend who is saying that there is no reasonable way to do it at the moment. The Wise route charges you a lot in conversion fees (inside IB it appears to be no-fees for FX?), and the CitiBank route doesn't seem to work due to the strange account number they have. I found this thread from a while back and it appears that the best way is through an SMBC account with 800 yen fee. Has there been any further discoveries in this front?
IB changed their services about a year ago (5/2022), and I'm pretty sure that old thread you quote is out of date (tho I'm not an IB customer/client).

IBLLC is no longer available to japan residents (this had been one good lifeline for US citizen investors here). Those customers have been migrated to IBSJ. I believe that you could fund an account there with a domestic (yen) transfer, and then buy whatever is on offer from them.

In the past, IBLLC did offer excellent f/x rates, IBSJ likely does, too.