Thematic ETFs in Japan - Global X?

tokyoal
Regular

Thematic ETFs in Japan - Global X?

Post by tokyoal »

Hi there,
I've been tasked with investing money for my wife (Japanese) domestically through Rakuten :| and while I will recommend some of the popular Emaxis Slim funds, I was wondering if anyone has thoughts on some of the thematic ETFs done by Global X Japan.
The fees are quite high (0.3 - 0.6%) but they bundle together some interesting themes (Robotics & AI; Fintech; ESG; E-commerce etc.)
They seem quite similar to the ARKK funds in the US.

https://globalxetfs.co.jp/en/index.html

Do you think they are worth adding, or would it be better just to cherry-pick from their holdings to add individual stocks? They are all quite heavily weighted at the top.
Do you know if they can be bought through NISA?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Re: Thematic ETFs in Japan - Global X?

Post by zeroshiki »

I bought some eMaxis Neo (thematic mutual funds) in clean tech and self driving cars at the start of last year and I'm underwater on both. Unless you have a specific goal (investing into green ETFs for example) I wouldn't recommend it over just doing S&P500 or All Country. You're at the whim of random fluctuations in the market.
captainspoke
Sage

Re: Thematic ETFs in Japan - Global X?

Post by captainspoke »

I've looked now and then at some global X ETFs, but have always gone back to more basic indexing (or something closer to that).

There may be one or two that are, but generally their funds are not rated very well by morningstar. They also seem to 'ride the coat-tails' of one or another trend (or fund) or what's in the news, rather than being the leader/innovator.