Any international (non Japanese) broker/investment account for kids?

alberto
Regular

Any international (non Japanese) broker/investment account for kids?

Post by alberto »

Does anyone know of an investment account that can be opened for kids with the intention of leaving it open for many years regardless of changing the country of residence? I don't want any from Japan (for various reasons), and outside of Japan it is difficult to find a broker that will let you open an account as a tax resident in another country, and when I have found one (in Spain mainly, because I'm Spanish), having an investment account for kids seems impossible. At the moment, the only solution I found was small investment funds in Spain. But what I'm really looking for is a broker that allows me to buy an ETF or a fund equivalent to the MSCI World with my kids as the account owner and me as the administrator I guess (I don't really know the technical name in English). Thanks in advance.
Tkydon
Sage

Re: Any international (non Japanese) broker/investment account for kids?

Post by Tkydon »

You could try Interactive Brokers. I don't know if they'll let you open a Custodial Account for your kids though.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

Had been looking at IBRK myself recently, when thinking about future portability, but it seems they are not opening accounts that can trade on international markets at this time for Japan residents:

https://ndcdyn.interactivebrokers.com/U ... pplication
Interactive Brokers is enhancing the way in which we provide access to global markets for our organizational clients residing in Japan so that they can seamlessly trade both Japanese and overseas markets through their Interactive Brokers Securities Japan Inc. account.

Not Registered with the Financial Services Agency (FSA) in Japan

During this transition period, Interactive Brokers will not accept new account applications from Japan resident applicants who wish to trade on international markets.

However, IB Japan continues to accept clients that wish to trade on Japanese markets. If you open an account with IB Japan now, we will notify you when trading on international markets becomes available.
No indication of when that might be...

The other thing to consider is the apparent hassles of dealing with Japanese taxes if trading in an ordinary account (not a "tokutei koza" that helps do the Japanese tax calculations).
alberto
Regular

Post by alberto »

Tkydon wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:12 am You could try Interactive Brokers. I don't know if they'll let you open a Custodial Account for your kids though.
Thanks, IB would be the best for me, but they don't have accounts for kids.
alberto
Regular

Post by alberto »

sutebayashi wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:23 am Had been looking at IBRK myself recently, when thinking about future portability, but it seems they are not opening accounts that can trade on international markets at this time for Japan residents:
I didn't know about this. I have an IB account since several years ago, which I opened while being already in Japan, so I don't know if this has any influence on my account now. I haven't traded for a while though.