Buy STRV in japan? possible.

creed

Buy STRV in japan? possible.

Post by creed »

The concept of the S&P500 but without the activism of ESG scores appeals to me. Is there any place to buy STRV:us in japan?

It doesn't seem to be available via SBI.

The ETF seems to be the same as VOO but with a focus on expecting the companies to hire the best person for the job rather than inclusivity.

https://www.strivefunds.com/strv

Fund Objective

STRV is a passively managed Exchange Traded Fund (ETF) that seeks broad market exposure to 500 of the largest U.S. publicly traded stocks.

Fund Description

STRV offers concentrated exposure to U.S. large capitalization corporations through a cost efficient index product. Through Corporate Governance practices, including voting proxy shares and proactively engaging with management teams and boards, Strive aims to unlock value across all corporations in STRV's portfolio by mandating companies to focus on profits over politics.
captainspoke
Sage

Re: Buy STRV in japan? possible.

Post by captainspoke »

"...focus on profits over politics."

I thought one of the 'problems' of many US companies was the focus on short-term profits (rather than longer term).

Excepting some of the recent news items about tech companies/censorship, and the wonderful elon mush machinations, I've never heard of politics--a focus on politics/intracompany politics--being any kind of issue.

Also, that fund is only five weeks old, and is very thinly traded: https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/STRV/?p=STRV

A big 'no' from me.
mighty58
Veteran

Post by mighty58 »

I'm going to refrain from commenting on US cultural/social issues, but it's very interesting these trends are spilling over into investment offerings. For what it's worth, it seems this fund is far from apolitical... in fact, their whole investment thesis seems political in nature.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

mighty58 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:30 am I'm going to refrain from commenting on US cultural/social issues, but it's very interesting these trends are spilling over into investment offerings. For what it's worth, it seems this fund is far from apolitical... in fact, their whole investment thesis seems political in nature.
Indeed. An apolitical tracker would be VOO or SPY. This tracker is just the opposite side of VOTE or other ESG ETFs.
Net Assets 31.91M
You do not want this.
creed wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:00 am by creed » Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:00 pm
IBKR or Saxo are you only options for this etf in Japan.
creed

Post by creed »

Why this fund interests me is the S part of ESG is "Social" which currently has "Diverstiy Inclusivity and Equity" embedded into it.

It seems to me that businesses should choose on excellence alone rather than quota systems to try to achieve equality of outcome.

An interesting youtube discussion on the topic: "Social Credit Scores, ESG Used To Bypass Voting, Corporations Will Control Us"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqrCd2dAY54

I get the sense that that opinion is shared by a sizable enough chunk of the population that it seems that this ETF STRV will grow pretty quickly hence my desire to be able to buy it.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

creed wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:55 am I get the sense that that opinion is shared by a sizable enough chunk of the population that it seems that this ETF STRV will grow pretty quickly hence my desire to be able to buy it.
I would challenge that statement. STRV does not seem materially different https://www.etf.com/etfanalytics/etf-c ... RV-vs-VOO
Anti-ESG Firm’s Second Fund Arrives After $330 Million ETF Debut
STRV will vote against unrelated ‘social or political agendas’
Peter Thiel, Bill Ackman among investors backing Strive
ByKatherine Greifeld

Strive Asset Management has launched its second anti-activism exchange-traded fund after the success of its debut product.

The Strive 500 ETF (ticker STRV), which began trading Thursday, tracks an index of the 500 largest US stocks. Unlike other passively managed, large-cap funds, STRV will “vote against board members and proposals that advance social or political agendas unrelated to providing excellent products and services to customers,” according to a regulatory filing.

The new fund fits in with Strive’s core thesis: push American corporations away from social causes by accumulating enough assets to have a say in the boardroom. In doing so, Strive -- which launched in 2022 with backing from billionaire investors including Peter Thiel and Bill Ackman -- is pitting itself directly against the likes of BlackRock Inc., which has embraced environmental, social and governance-focused investing.

While principles-based funds have struggled to gain traction, Strive’s inaugural ETF has been an early success. The Strive US Energy ETF (DRLL), which aims to encourage oil and energy companies to “drill more and frack more”, has already grown to about $330 million in assets after its early August launch.

Strive’s push into ETFs arrives at an inflection point for ESG funds. After two years during which more than $32 billion poured into such funds, do-good ETF inflows have slowed to $4.7 billion in 2022 as the rout in technology stocks weighs on performance.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ify%20wall

Again it is basically the conservative version of VOTE https://etf.engine1.com/vote/

You are paying for ACTIVISM, seems counter to your stated goals.
mighty58
Veteran

Post by mighty58 »

This ETF, like other values-based funds (most common being ESG) before it, or more recently the "custom indexing" investment options, are all sold as offerings that allow you to better "reflect your values", by excluding or including companies based on whatever criteria you desire. They all have one thing in common though: they underperform the index. But you're right, these funds do have a market, because many individuals are willing to accept lower returns, if it means they can tell their social circle they don't invest in x, y or z companies that they don't like. It's virtue signaling brought to the retail investing masses. But if you truly want to be apolitical, the SP500 or other global indexes is where you should be. Politics and things like ESG do not factor into whether a company is on an index.
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

creed wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:00 am The concept of the S&P500 but without the activism of ESG scores appeals to me. Is there any place to buy STRV:us in japan?

The ETF seems to be the same as VOO but with a focus on expecting the companies to hire the best person for the job rather than inclusivity.

I see Vivek R who founded Strive to compete with Blackrock etc on my Twitter feed quite a bit and have a lot of time for what he has to say.

I looked up STRV on the US stocks platform of Monex and I can find a chart of it and see a Trade button… I tried to put a limit order on it but got an error that says “trading is restricted for this symbol”, so unless it’s not possible to set limit orders on weekends then maybe indeed this can’t be traded there (yet) either.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

sutebayashi wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:10 pm
creed wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:00 am The concept of the S&P500 but without the activism of ESG scores appeals to me. Is there any place to buy STRV:us in japan?

I see Vivek R who founded Strive to compete with Blackrock etc on my Twitter feed quite a bit and have a lot of time for what he has to say.

I looked up STRV on the US stocks platform of Monex and I can find a chart of it and see a Trade button… I tried to put a limit order on it but got an error that says “trading is restricted for this symbol”, so unless it’s not possible to set limit orders on weekends then maybe indeed this can’t be traded there (yet) either.
IBKR or Saxo only. This has a market cap of 30 mil, no way it is being handled. Another S&P500 etf in a sea of similar offerings.

For reference VOTE has 300 million and is not offered by Japanese exchanges.
creed

Post by creed »

Thoughts? VOO is run by vanguard. Engine no.1 is the mechanism used to do their activism in favor of ESG so investing in VOO is more a neutral "do whatever" stance.

While STRV is more a "No, do whats best for the investor" stance. Vanguard couldn't run a Pro-ESG fund AND the reverse of that at the same time.

So STRV seems like its VOO minus the pro ESG activism.