Taking a punt.

Bubblegun
Veteran

Taking a punt.

Post by Bubblegun »

I know we often talk about funds, ETFs, etc but wondered if any of us have ever taken a punt on anything, that seems to have been a good idea, wether for the better or for the worse. I wonder if this should be moved to :arrow: the general section, the moderator can move if it's better suited there.
Some people like to bet on the horses the boat races, play the one arm bandit, or visit the pub for an investment in the latest beer. (There's always a return on that.LOL sometimes good, and sometimes very very bad.) :mrgreen:

Anyway I thought id have a little bit of fun the past year, because I found 1000 dollars in a cupboard.( seriously) I must have put it there ages ago and forgot about it
So, since it was money I never really had, I decided to play with 1000 dollars. So I invested in 2 things, in an attempt to save the world from the evils of CO2. OK I'm not Bill gates or Elon Musk, but gotta start somewhere, right?

I decided to buy some Rivian, in May and its been ok. The trucks look great, got great reviews and the yanks love their trucks, and with amazon joining in, who knows, maybe it will work out in 10 years.

I then decided to look at Canoo.It's almost on the verge of bankruptcy and I have no idea if this will fly...or should that be drive, but Walmart stepped in, as did NASA, ( not exactly rocket science) and the US army are looking at the modular design. It'll probably live up put to its name, and end up sinking, but who know it could be a submarine, and rise or eventually torpedoed. I am also going on a diet, I will forgo the donuts for one month and buy a few more.LOL Now there's an incentive. If I eat donuts, I only end up getting fatter and pooping it out. But if I put it in this...maybe it'll be poop, but I might be thinner. That's a pretty good investment on my waist line.

OH I also bought 4 batman lego car kits, which should double in price when they are eventually retired. :D Might be the best return out of all the cars.LOLThe classic 1960s version not the rubbish modern batman stuff. :roll:

Anyway, I was hoping we could have a chat about each others PUNTS, have some fun, and show our successes and mistakes. Not to rain on anyone decisions, or choices. After all someone had to take a punt on amazon, Tesla, and google all those years ago.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Re: Taking a punt.

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

I got really lucky with the momentum plays 2 years back, AMC, blackberry, etc (not GME).

I did some research, and realized it was 100% pure luck.

I did more research, I realized most stocks don't even outperform 6 month Treasuries.

Then I found Bogle through Buffett.i cannot go back to single stocks.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:28 am I got really lucky with the momentum plays 2 years back, AMC, blackberry, etc (not GME).

I did more research, I realized most stocks don't even outperform 6 month Treasuries.

That's really interesting about Blackberry.I remember my mate who raved about their phones when they were the king of phones.
Tony
Veteran

Post by Tony »

Bubblegun wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:56 am
TokyoBoglehead wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:28 am I got really lucky with the momentum plays 2 years back, AMC, blackberry, etc (not GME).

That's really interesting about Blackberry.I remember my mate who raved about their phones when they were the king of phones.
The price only went up as they were one of the meme stocks on reddit's r/wallstreetbets along with GME and AMC.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

Tony wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:09 pm

The price only went up as they were one of the meme stocks on reddit's r/wallstreetbets along with GME and AMC.
Indeed, and twiiter/Tiktok etc.

I rode the Memestock wave to success, but thankfully found index funds in my attempt to piece together the logic behind my success (Cliff-notes; Pure luck.).
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:01 am

I rode the Memestock wave to success, but thankfully found index funds in my attempt to piece together the logic behind my success (Cliff-notes; Pure luck.).
WOW two massive companies now.

I just took another punt on ICLN ETF, and it's seen a pop. I can't help but think the global weather played a part, and some democrat getting on board with global weather change. So hopefully there will be a few needles in that haystack that'll be fruitful. For me, its because when I looked out the window, it's getting bloody hot, and I'm seeing more EVs on the road. I also had some silly idea that it might help the planet.

So, what made you choose them? FOMO? just interested in the sector? or something else, looked cool?
Did you get in before they blew up? or when they were more established?

For me, its because when I looked out the window, it's getting bloody hot, and I'm seeing more EVs on the road.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

Bubblegun wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:04 am

I just took another punt on ICLN ETF, and it's seen a pop. I can't help but think the global weather played a part, and some democrat getting on board with global weather change. So hopefully there will be a few needles in that haystack that'll be fruitful. For me, its because when I looked out the window, it's getting bloody hot, and I'm seeing more EVs on the road. I also had some silly idea that it might help the planet.

So, what made you choose them? FOMO? just interested in the sector? or something else, looked cool?

For me, its because when I looked out the window, it's getting bloody hot, and I'm seeing more EVs on the road.
I was momentum trading, leveraging the "greater fools" theory and the huge social moment around them. I do not recommend doing this. You cannot beat the market long-term. It is not worth trying.

IMO ICLN is not a good move. Yes, renewables are the future, but these companies are not going to see runaway, huge growth. Profitability is hard for renewable, they are not oil companies.

I would not recommend trading shares or sector etfs unless you have certain, special knowledge that the market does not. Otherwise, you are almost guaranteed statistically to underperform the market overtime.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:37 am
Bubblegun wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:04 am

I was momentum trading, leveraging the "greater fools" theory and the huge social moment around them. I do not recommend doing this. You cannot beat the market long-term. It is not worth trying.

IMO ICLN is not a good move. Yes, renewables are the future, but these companies are not going to see runaway, huge growth. Profitability is hard for renewable, they are not oil companies.

I would not recommend trading shares or sector etfs unless you have certain, special knowledge that the market does not. Otherwise, you are almost guaranteed statistically to underperform the market overtime.
Thanks for that Tokyo.
I agree.Totally!
My main investments are in the An OLD vanguard fund before NISA came along, a NISA S&P 500 Vanguard ETF, and the E Maxi All Country ETFs, and a NASDAQ 100, I've been pretty happy with everything so far.
I think I'm doing this just for, some interest, and yes in some way following the Lemmings over a cliff, but also hoping that they's maybe something down the line. But another reason was for the kids future, and doing something for the planet. Certainly not a good financial reason to invest in renewables. But I'm ok with that because I did it for ultruistic reasons. It's not gonna be large part of my portfolio. $500. However I do expect a 100% return on my LEGO BATMAN CARS, and lets face it.... who doesn't love lego. Except when we step on the darn pieces. :D
MBK
Regular

Post by MBK »

One related question to purchasing individual stocks.

Where can I actually check how much fees are buying charged for the purchase? I`m using Rakuten.

For example, for illustration here is one transaction:

概算代金

概算約定代金
1,098,000 円

手数料(税込)
640 円

概算受渡代金
1,098,640 円

証券口座から
342,360 円

銀行口座から
1,033,280 円

Is the 640 JPY the only fee charged for purchase?

I can`t really figure out the 証券口座からand 銀行口座から since these are higher than 概算受渡代金. Do the "口座から" only list the total amount available? Is the 概算受渡代金 the actual amount I will be charged?
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

MBK wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:20 am One related question to purchasing individual stocks.

Where can I actually check how much fees are buying charged for the purchase? I`m using Rakuten.

For example, for illustration here is one transaction:

概算代金

概算約定代金
1,098,000 円

手数料(税込)
640 円

概算受渡代金
1,098,640 円

証券口座から
342,360 円

銀行口座から
1,033,280 円

Is the 640 JPY the only fee charged for purchase?

I can`t really figure out the 証券口座からand 銀行口座から since these are higher than 概算受渡代金. Do the "口座から" only list the total amount available? Is the 概算受渡代金 the actual amount I will be charged?
手数料 is indeed handling charge/commision.
I dont like the Rakuten receipt (外国証券・外国証書取引報告書) I've been reading, as it seems rather cluttered, just a bunch of numbers. Then I have to refer to the key printed at the top of the page.Not intuitive.