Moving investments out of Japan

eagleyes
Regular

Re: Moving investments out of Japan

Post by eagleyes »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:42 am From a Japanese standpoint, I think waiting on IBKR is the smartest move, as this is their bread and butter.
Sorry if I missed the point, so IBKR will allow to hold an account wherever you are resident and you hold stocks in Japanese yen?
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

eagleyes wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:09 am
TokyoBoglehead wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:42 am From a Japanese standpoint, I think waiting on IBKR is the smartest move, as this is their bread and butter.
Sorry if I missed the point, so IBKR will allow to hold an account wherever you are resident and you hold stocks in Japanese yen?
Where do you have citizenship? What are your local brokers policies on non-resident accounts? The most logical move would be to hold in an account where you can keep things permanently.

IBKR operates in virtually every country. They can switch account statuses around depending on what is permitted in each jurisdiction, or transfers shares, etc.
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:11 am
IBKR operates in virtually every country. They can switch account statuses around depending on what is permitted in each jurisdiction, or transfers shares, etc.
Piggybacking on this one; Is transferring assets from Rakuten to IBKR possible?
Even if it was, may be this might not be possible for our favorite emaxis slim series, right?
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

gnakarmi wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:33 am
Even if it was, may be this might not be possible for our favorite emaxis slim series, right?
They don't sell it, so no.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

beanhead wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:11 am
gnakarmi wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:33 am
They don't sell it, so no.
No, as Gnakarmi said. Mutual funds are often domestic only. Their structure wouldn`t meet compliancy rules in other countries.
aussieinjapan

Post by aussieinjapan »

I think in preparation for moving from Rakuten to IBKR or Monex (Aus), I will sell my emaxis slim funds (mostly all country, but have some others) and buy Maxis ETFs. There are other providers that might be slightly cheaper, but I guess I'm sold on their brand at this point :) See https://maxis.mukam.jp/ for a list.

Probably, the main one will be - 2559 MAXIS World Equity (MSCI ACWI) ETF (0.078% management fee) https://maxis.mukam.jp/etf_fund/182559.html

Based on the great analysis over in this thread viewtopic.php?t=1453, I'll be trading some performance and convenience for being able to transfer these ETFs internationally. Given the cost/hassle of trying to sell and transfer small amounts with Wise/my bank if I was to do this in cash in the future (not to mention being at the mercy of the exchange rate) I think it's a worthwhile tradeoff.
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

aussieinjapan wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:00 pm I think in preparation for moving from Rakuten to IBKR or Monex (Aus), I will sell my emaxis slim funds (mostly all country, but have some others) and buy Maxis ETFs. There are other providers that might be slightly cheaper, but I guess I'm sold on their brand at this point :) See https://maxis.mukam.jp/ for a list.

Probably, the main one will be - 2559 MAXIS World Equity (MSCI ACWI) ETF (0.078% management fee) https://maxis.mukam.jp/etf_fund/182559.html

Based on the great analysis over in this thread viewtopic.php?t=1453, I'll be trading some performance and convenience for being able to transfer these ETFs internationally. Given the cost/hassle of trying to sell and transfer small amounts with Wise/my bank if I was to do this in cash in the future (not to mention being at the mercy of the exchange rate) I think it's a worthwhile tradeoff.
Again, apologies for another naive question:
Will this strategy of selling emaxis slim mutual funds and then purchasing similar ETF's incur "losses" in terms of taxes (when selling), as compared to holding the mutual funds forever? (IF holding emaxis slim forever was an option. I understand its not an option when moving out of Japan.)
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

gnakarmi wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:37 pm
aussieinjapan wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:00 pm I think in preparation for moving from Rakuten to IBKR or Monex (Aus), I will sell my emaxis slim funds (mostly all country, but have some others) and buy Maxis ETFs. There are other providers that might be slightly cheaper, but I guess I'm sold on their brand at this point :) See https://maxis.mukam.jp/ for a list.

Again, apologies for another naive question:
Will this strategy of selling emaxis slim mutual funds and then purchasing similar ETF's incur "losses" in terms of taxes (when selling), as compared to holding the mutual funds forever? (IF holding emaxis slim forever was an option. I understand its not an option when moving out of Japan.)
It is possible you might lose out on some price movement when you wait for the mutual fund sale to settle.

Of course you would 1. have to pay capital gains on any profit you have already made. 2. The ETF would distribute dividends not reinvest them, which would be a capital gain and taxable event.
eagleyes
Regular

Post by eagleyes »

That sounds great idea but perhaps before making the move check if these Maxis ETFs are available for trade in IBKR or Monex. Sometimes not all products are available depending on the trade platforms. I opened a free trial account with IBKR and this is what I am checking to validate my transfer strategy.
aussieinjapan

Post by aussieinjapan »

Thanks all for your advice! I have completed my transition from e-maxis slim mutual funds to ETFs on the TSE!

Here's what I did:

- I sold all of my mutual funds, over the course of about a week, a few weeks ago. I now have an entry in "realised profit/loss" for the first time.
- I bought a range of ETFs that I felt gave me a similar exposure over the last week or so totalling a similar amount to what I had originally in mutual funds.
- I noticed (via an app) that I should expect to receive more dividends than before. Many of these ETFs pay dividends, whereas the e-maxis slim funds would reinvest dividends automatically. The funds are likely more tax efficient, and don't require you to have enough to buy the minimum units. This is covered somewhere in another post. But this gives me (I hope) the freedom to move them to another broker later.

The ETFs I chose, in case you're interested are as follows. As you might expect, the majority is in 2559 (maxis all country).

1348 MAXISトピックスETF (TOPIX index)
1478 ISMSCI高配当ETF (high dividend paying Japanese stocks)
1660 MXS高利Jリート (Japanese REIT)
2511 NF外債ヘッジ無 (Foreign bonds, unhedged)
2515 NF外REITへ無 (Foreign REIT, unhedged)
2520 NF新興国株式ヘ無 (Developing economy stocks, unhedged)
2559 MXS全世界株式 (All country stocks)
2858 GX日経カバコ (Nikkei covered calls)