Future JPY/USD rates

What will the JPY/USD rate be in 3 months (July), 6 months (Oct) and 12 months (April 2023?

3 months under 120
1%
3 months 120-130
10%
3 months over 130
16%
6 months under 120
6%
6 months 120-130
12%
6 months over 130
13%
12 months under 120
9%
12 months 120-130
10%
12 months over 130
21%

Total votes: 67

TJKansai
Veteran

Future JPY/USD rates

Post by TJKansai »

Place your bets...

Choose one for each of the 3 time periods.
TJKansai
Veteran

Re: Future JPY/USD rates

Post by TJKansai »

Looks like only 3 of the 9 respondents were right that the JPY would be over 130 (138 at the moment).

Those who were hoping for a stronger yen at the 3 and 6-month point were a bit too optimistic IMHO (myself included).
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

If the US keeps raising rates, expect to see the Yen continue to weaken.

It is a pretty straightforward cause and effect situation.
Gulliver
Veteran

Post by Gulliver »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:17 am If the US keeps raising rates, expect to see the Yen continue to weaken.

Maybe I should’ve put this in the “for dummies“ thread because I really don’t understand Japanese monetary policy. However, isn’t it a good thing for Japan when the Yen is weak? Since the economy is primarily export oriented companies are able to sell their products more cheaply which in turn makes them more competitive internationally. I just saw Kuroda on the news yesterday saying that he would not raise interest rates in order to strengthen the Yen. Does this also affect inflation?

Can anyone with more insight explain Japanese monetary policy more thoroughly?

Personally, the weak Yen is great for me since some of my income comes from the US and I can buy everything at a discount. Is it wrong that I’m rooting for 150?
Last edited by Gulliver on Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

Gulliver wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:09 am
TokyoBoglehead wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:17 am If the US keeps raising rates, expect to see the Yen continue to weaken.

Maybe I should’ve put this in the “for dummies“ thread because I really don’t understand Japanese monetary policy. However, isn’t it a good thing for Japan when the Yen is weak? Since the economy is primarily export oriented companies are able to sell their products more cheaply which in turn makes them more competitive internationally. I just saw Kuroda on the news yesterday saying that he would not raise interest rates in order to strengthen the Yen. Does this also infect inflation?

Personally, the weak Yen is great for me since some of my income comes from the US and I can buy everything at a discount. Is it wrong that I’m rooting for 150?
Japan Imports almost as much as it exports. Raw material, and foodstuffs are a huge part of this.

A rock bottom yen hurts the average citizen quite a lot.

I would be careful of publicly rooting for a low-yen, keep that on the downlow. Many low income people are facing rising bills and stagnant wages.

PRODUCT
EXPORTS | IMPORTS
$623B | $581B,
4 OF 226 | 5 OF 226 (Global) Ranking

https://oec.world/en/profile/country/jpn
Gulliver
Veteran

Post by Gulliver »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:35 am Many low income people are facing rising bills and stagnant wages.

PRODUCT
EXPORTS | IMPORTS
$623B | $581B,
4 OF 226 | 5 OF 226 (Global) Ranking

https://oec.world/en/profile/country/jpn
Interesting. If that’s the case, the “virtuous cycle” may end up being more of a “virtuous pyramid.”
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

Gulliver wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:09 am

Maybe I should’ve put this in the “for dummies“ thread because I really don’t understand Japanese monetary policy. However, isn’t it a good thing for Japan when the Yen is weak? Since the economy is primarily export oriented companies are able to sell their products more cheaply which in turn makes them more competitive internationally. I just saw Kuroda on the news yesterday saying that he would not raise interest rates in order to strengthen the Yen. Does this also affect inflation?

There is a plus for Japanese overseas manufacturers who repatriate profits, but as TokyoBoglehead mentioned, domestic exporters need pricey raw materials first, which drives down overall profits.
Ax6isB
Veteran

Post by Ax6isB »

Additional data point: the Japanese company I work for is using usd/jpy rate of 136 for next year’s budget, up from 110.
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

6 months down and the JPY continues to fall...147 today.

Guess my 130 target band was pretty far off (though at the time it seemed okay).
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

TJKansai wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:43 am 6 months down and the JPY continues to fall...147 today.

Guess my 130 target band was pretty far off (though at the time it seemed okay).
I suppose the question (indirectly) is "how long will inflation continue in the US?" The CPI prints keep coming out hot, so everyone and their dog is saying another .75 raise in November.

The BOJ was betting things would be getting back to normal by December. That seems.., unlikely?

My guess is we are back to 140 by June 2023, 130 by Dec 2023.