Wise (previously TransferWise)

This forum is to discuss anything to do with banks and banking services.
eagleyes
Regular

Wise (previously TransferWise)

Post by eagleyes »

Hi everyone,

Has anybody applied/using the Wise (previously TransferWise) debit card in Japan? Any feedback?
I used their transfer money services a couple of times but now they have this offer of a multicurrency account and debit card which may simplify the management of my account in Europe.
What I like is the possibility to have UK account number, Euro IBAN, US routing number. If that is working it means I can potentially get rid of my account in my France which I barely use now.

Thanks in advance.
Kanto
Veteran

Re: Wise (previously TransferWise)

Post by Kanto »

eagleyes wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:25 am Hi everyone,

Has anybody applied/using the Wise (previously TransferWise) debit card in Japan? Any feedback?
I used their transfer money services a couple of times but now they have this offer of a multicurrency account and debit card which may simplify the management of my account in Europe.
What I like is the possibility to have UK account number, Euro IBAN, US routing number. If that is working it means I can potentially get rid of my account in my France which I barely use now.

Thanks in advance.
viewtopic.php?p=12614#p12614
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

I've used my UK/US virtual accounts and am very happy with them.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

eagleyes wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:25 am Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.
My wife used the debit card to pay for a semester of her Masters in Poland last month and we transferred the money through Wise from our British bank account. It was transferred on the same day.
eagleyes
Regular

Post by eagleyes »

Kanto wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:46 am
viewtopic.php?p=12614#p12614
Thanks! I knew I saw something already. I promised I checked before posting but it did not return this post in my search. :oops:
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

It's ironic because it was the post immediately before yours :P

But it was in a different forum category, and the search is terrible, to be fair.

I mentioned it before, but using standard search engines and adding "site: retirejapan.com" to the end of the query is a much better way to search the forum. Here's an example for Transferwise. The example is for DuckDuckGo, but it works for Google too.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=transferwise+ ... ejapan.com
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

Wow!
How refreshing the whole (Transfer)Wise setup process has been!
Getting my Wise account up and running has been next level!
Did it all online in about 10mins, even the account verification part -uploading various photos of ID cards...
Transferred some money online from the Post Office, converted some to GBP, and ordered the debit card, all without a single hanko stamp!? :lol:
Amazing!
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Jr NISA -> Established (Running quietly in the background)
UK Pension Voluntary Contributions -> Up and running
All thanks to RetireJapan...
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Bushiman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:33 am Wow!
How refreshing the whole (Transfer)Wise setup process has been!
Getting my Wise account up and running has been next level!
Did it all online in about 10mins, even the account verification part -uploading various photos of ID cards...
Transferred some money online from the Post Office, converted some to GBP, and ordered the debit card, all without a single hanko stamp!? :lol:
Amazing!
That is why I am not ashamed of pushing it on the site (even though we get a commission if people sign up). I've been a very happy customer since they started :D

The app and debit card are really easy to use too.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Yossarian
Regular

Post by Yossarian »

Yeah, I'm happy with it. Was able to set up direct debits for student loan payments and hopefully voluntary pension payments (whenever that process finishes) from that account. Much simpler than trying to un-freeze my bank account back in the UK.
runmanTX
Regular

Post by runmanTX »

Is it possible to use Wise to fund a stateside (US) brokerage account? Or is Wise only for bank to bank transfers?
Would Wise be the cheapest method to send funds from a Japanese bank account to an overseas brokerage?
I noticed Wise is cheaper than the 2000 yen transfer fee GoRemit with Shinsei charges for international remittances.