Simple Q&A - Stock market investing

beanhead
Sage

Re: Simple Q&A - Stock market investing

Post by beanhead »

tim wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:27 am
What happens if I sell a stock and gain 100 yen out of it? Is it still taxed?
Does long-term and short-term capital gains tax rate exist in Japan? like holding a stock for a year to have a lower tax rate?

Thank in advance
Yes, it is taxed.
No, there is only one flat-rate for capital gains here. Dividends are also taxed at the same rate, just over 20%.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
tim
Regular

Post by tim »

beanhead wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:36 am No, there is only one flat-rate for capital gains here. Dividends are also taxed at the same rate, just over 20%.
Hmm I see so I just need to consider the (20% tax + commission rate)
to visualize the NET gain

Thanks for the reply
Allocations
35% US Stocks
30% JPN Stocks
35% tNISA
tim
Regular

Post by tim »

Can someone verify this

Do I need to register anything this year-end adjustment 年末調整 ?
I received some dividends and sold some stocks.

All stocks are under Specific account with tax withholding
特定口座 - 源泉徴収あり

Thanks in advance
Allocations
35% US Stocks
30% JPN Stocks
35% tNISA
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

No, you don't have to, but depending on the amount of your other income, and whether they are Japanese Stocks or Overseas Stocks, there may be an advantage to filing a Kakutei Shinkoku in March.

Dividends and Capital Gains cannot be processed in your Nenmatsu Chosei.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
tim
Regular

Post by tim »

Tkydon wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:15 am No, you don't have to, but depending on the amount of your other income, and whether they are Japanese Stocks or Overseas Stocks, there may be an advantage to filing a Kakutei Shinkoku in March.

Dividends and Capital Gains cannot be processed in your Nenmatsu Chosei.
Thanks for affirming,
I think this year I don't need to do my kakutei shinkoku
Capture.JPG
Allocations
35% US Stocks
30% JPN Stocks
35% tNISA
tim
Regular

Post by tim »

I need your thoughts

I bought a stock and now its 30% down.
I'm thinking of like selling it and buy it when it goes lower like 40% or 50% or more from my initial position, is this a good idea?
with the thinking that the stock will grow in the 1 to 2 years from my initial position.
Allocations
35% US Stocks
30% JPN Stocks
35% tNISA
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

tim wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:40 am I need your thoughts

I'm thinking of like selling it and buy it when it goes lower like 40% or 50% from my initial position is this a good idea?
with the thinking that the stock will grow in the 1 to 2 years from now from my initial position.
Nobody will be able to answer your question as we have no clue what will happen to said stock in the future. It may go up from here, it may not. If it goes up from now you have locked in a 30% loss. To be blunt, your question suggests to me you don’t really have the expertise to be pursuing the strategy you are pursuing. I don’t say that to be unkind, more in an attempt to save you from losing money.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

I wish "investing" wasn't tied up into the idea of day trading. Too many people dive in (or stay away) because of this. I'm thankful for RJ and the community here for getting the word out and I always wonder how to encourage more people to invest but invest safely.

I have friends who refuse to look at NISA or iDeCo because it's a hassle and they think furusato nozei is a scam. Quite disappointing.
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

I'm thinking of like selling it and buy it when it goes lower like 40% or 50% or more from my initial position, is this a good idea?
with the thinking that the stock will grow in the 1 to 2 years from my initial position.
This is diametrically opposite of any recommendation/advice from RJ or other regular members of the forum.

Still to entertain your thought(and I am not advising you to do this, actually the opposite), if you think that the stock will grow in the future, why do you want to sell it now? Why not add more?
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/a/averagedown.asp

Timing the market is a bad idea.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

My thoughts? Sell down your position and buy an index fund.

You have not provided any information on the stock, and seem to be making a decision purely off price movement.

This pretty clearly illustrates that you should not be actively trading.