Allocations
35% US Stocks
30% JPN Stocks
35% tNISA
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Simple Q&A - Stock market investing

Post by RetireJapan »

tim wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:11 am I have yen so don't know if its better to buy Japan stocks like Capcom
or US stocks like Paypal,Google, Broadcom
For most people, the best thing to buy is low-fee diversified index funds. In Japan, mutual funds are good.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Ax6isB
Veteran

Post by Ax6isB »

tim wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:15 am
Thanks will read more about this
I can’t tell you if the stocks you have listed are good or bad but I did look at SGML and I’d rate them as a speculative investment considering how unprofitable they are. This may be a very viable trade (or you may have knowledge I don’t about the long term prospects) and it may fit into your overall portfolio. As a stand alone investment, they’re a bit risky for my tastes.
tim
Regular

Post by tim »

Ax6isB wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:48 am I can’t tell you if the stocks you have listed are good or bad but I did look at SGML and I’d rate them as a speculative investment considering how unprofitable they are. This may be a very viable trade (or you may have knowledge I don’t about the long term prospects) and it may fit into your overall portfolio. As a stand alone investment, they’re a bit risky for my tastes.
I bought SGML for short term purposes and thinking It may be fruitful in the upcoming future.
Allocations
35% US Stocks
30% JPN Stocks
35% tNISA
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

tim wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:08 am
Ax6isB wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:48 am I can’t tell you if the stocks you have listed are good or bad but I did look at SGML and I’d rate them as a speculative investment considering how unprofitable they are. This may be a very viable trade (or you may have knowledge I don’t about the long term prospects) and it may fit into your overall portfolio. As a stand alone investment, they’re a bit risky for my tastes.
I bought SGML for short term purposes and thinking It may be fruitful in the upcoming future.
That does not sound like a strong conviction. I think most of this sub would strongly recommend against short-term speculation, and point you towards passive index investing.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

tim wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:11 am I just want to buy and maybe sell after 5 years or 10 years
Why? What are your goals?
tim
Regular

Post by tim »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:46 am
tim wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:08 am I bought SGML for short term purposes and thinking It may be fruitful in the upcoming future.
That does not sound like a strong conviction. I think most of this sub would strongly recommend against short-term speculation, and point you towards passive index investing.
Yeah, I just bought it because of my emotions (feeling that it will somewhat will get lucky), but will stop investing on it since gambling is bad hehe
adamu wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:11 pm
tim wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:11 am I just want to buy and maybe sell after 5 years or 10 years
Why? What are your goals?
I'm thinking like most of my money will go to index funds and like 10% stocks will sell them short term like (3 - 10 years) if the price is good

Thank you guys for the advise and patience
Allocations
35% US Stocks
30% JPN Stocks
35% tNISA
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

tim wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:23 am
I'm thinking like most of my money will go to index funds and like 10% stocks will sell them short term like (3 - 10 years) if the price is good

Thank you guys for the advise and patience
There is nothing from with this approach. However I strongly suggest getting your NISA and IDeco setup, and automatically investing monthly into a low-cost index fund.

THEN after that is complete, consider that other 10%
tim
Regular

Post by tim »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:02 am There is nothing from with this approach. However I strongly suggest getting your NISA and IDeco setup, and automatically investing monthly into a low-cost index fund.

THEN after that is complete, consider that other 10%
Yeah that's the plan,
Stop investing in individual stocks but prioritize index funds instead.

I have a question,
Is it advisable to have multiple funds for my NISA account?
[eMAXISSlim新興国株式インデックス]
[年金積立 Jグロース]
[ 楽天・全米株式インデックス・ファンド]

or just having one is enough ?
[eMAXISSlim新興国株式インデックス]

for the IDECO
Is 5000yen/month the minimum?
Allocations
35% US Stocks
30% JPN Stocks
35% tNISA
MBK
Regular

Post by MBK »

I have a question about dividends and how the payment works.

I recently purchased some stocks which have dividend payments and this is what it says on the Rakuten page:

配当をもらうなら

権利付き最終日
09/28
この日までに買う

配当落ち日
09/29
この日から売れる

権利確定日
09/30

Using DeepL:

If you want to receive a dividend

Last day for entitlement
28 September
Buy by this date

Ex-dividend date
09/29
Sell from this date

Vesting date
09/30

I want to check if I understand this system correctly:

1.) You are entitled to dividents as long as you hold the stock on morning of 29th September and are free to sell from then on.
2.) How does it work with the actual dividend payments? When and how do you receive them?