Investing EUR from Japan

Trapezius
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Investing EUR from Japan

Post by Trapezius »

Hello!

I am a non-US national and have some EUR in a bank account in Europe that I would like to invest in ETFs using a basic Vanguard/Bogleheads approach. Problem is, I can't for the life of me find a broker that would allow me to invest in EUR-denominated funds (ideally Vanguard, but would settle for similar from iShares etc.).

I have an account on Interactive Brokers, but most funds are not accessible (including the ideal USD-domiciled ones).

Is anyone investing EUR from Japan, and if so, what platform(s) are you using? Unfortunately I did not register an account with a broker in my home country before moving over and as I no longer have residence there, that's not an option.

(Note: I'm already investing in local schemes such as NISA / iDeco / etc using JPY from my local salary.)
Krolontra

Re: Investing EUR from Japan

Post by Krolontra »

I do not know what a Vanguard/Bogleheads approach is, but if you want to invest in ETFs in Europe you should open an account there. I do not know where you come from, but if opening an account in you country is not possible, because you do no reside there, you can open an account elsewhere in Europe. I have an account with Swissquote in Switzerland. Trading there is relative expensive, but if you only buy ETFs once in a while this will not make much of a difference. If you are trading heavily, this may be too expensive.
rasselbiluga
Regular

Re: Investing EUR from Japan

Post by rasselbiluga »

Are you a resident of Japan? Trading 212 is an European broker that apparently allows Japanese residents to open an account. I have not opened an account myself though, so not sure if it really works and how complicated the opening procedure is. Saxo Bank might be another possibility. Maybe https://brokerchooser.com/compare-brokerage might be useful to search a broker that fits you?