Simple Q&A - NISA

TBS

Re: Simple Q&A - NISA

Post by TBS »

Alrik wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:40 am Is there a similar passive fund with either Rakuten or SBI? I'm willing to listen to recommendations if there is something better.
eMAXIS Slim All Country - this tracks the MSCI All Country World index.

SBI and Rakuten have funds which track the FTSE Global All Cap index, but these are less competitive than eMAXIS Slim All Country when all costs are considered.
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

Alrik wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:40 am Quick question,

We've recently opened my wifes Tsumitate NISA and iDeco with Rakuten and so far no problems. We're in the process of opening mine, but I'm expecting to run into problems with my middle name as always.

I had a passive fund back in the UK with Vanguard and I had it set up to invest monthly into the FTSE Global all cap.

Is there a similar passive fund with either Rakuten or SBI? I'm willing to listen to recommendations if there is something better.

Thanks
If you are married to FTSE ALL caps you can invest in Rakuten`s Vanguard VT Wrap.
https://www.rakuten-sec.co.jp/web/fund/ ... 90C000FHC4

Most people recommend MSCI ACWI funds (Competitor index) as they are cheaper in Japan.
https://www.rakuten-sec.co.jp/web/fund/ ... 90C000H1T1
Gareth
Veteran

Post by Gareth »

Gareth wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:35 am
If I sign up for a NISA or tsumitate NISA account, am I under any obligation to actually use it?
adamu wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:06 am I'm not sure whether tsumitate requires the monthly deposit.
I have my Tsumitate NISA open. I wasn't required to set anything up in order to open the Tsumitate NISA and I still haven't set anything up a month later. It looks like you can set it up and get started at your own pace. I have a few expenses coming up in the next few months so I can get started once they are out the way.
John_conner
Regular

Post by John_conner »

Hi

Do you need to have permanent residency to be legible for nisa and ideco?

Many thanks
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

John_conner wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:30 pm Hi

Many thanks
No.
John_conner
Regular

Post by John_conner »

Kanto wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:48 pm

Many thanks
No.

Many thanks

I’ve been reading that ideco should be the first priority, then NISA. Do people agreee with this? Thanks
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

John_conner wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:33 pm

Many thanks
No.

Many thanks

I’ve been reading that ideco should be the first priority, then NISA. Do people agree with this? Thanks
iDeco is an excellent vehicle for saving for retirement. You cannot access the funds til 60.
NISA is an excellent vehicle for saving for the medium to long term. (20 years max).

It would depend on your age, future retirement plans etc etc.
John_conner
Regular

Post by John_conner »

Kanto wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:01 am

No.

Many thanks

I’ve been reading that ideco should be the first priority, then NISA. Do people agree with this? Thanks
iDeco is an excellent vehicle for saving for retirement. You cannot access the funds til 60.
NISA is an excellent vehicle for saving for the medium to long term. (20 years max).

I pay into my un pension, Japanese pension, just opened a Rakuten account. Problem is don’t know where I will be in the future here or the uk
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

John_conner wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:31 am

Many thanks

I pay into my un pension, Japanese pension, just opened a Rakuten account. Problem is don’t know where I will be in the future here or the uk
In that case, opening regular NISA (5 years tax free, 1.2M JPY limit annually) might be what you're looking for. Tsumitate NISA is for 20 years with a 400k max per year. If you think you can go over 400k a year and you're not sure if you're in Japan long term, regular NISA would be the safe bet.
John_conner
Regular

Post by John_conner »

zeroshiki wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:36 am
John_conner wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:31 am

In that case, opening regular NISA (5 years tax free, 1.2M JPY limit annually) might be what you're looking for. Tsumitate NISA is for 20 years with a 400k max per year. If you think you can go over 400k a year and you're not sure if you're in Japan long term, regular NISA would be the safe bet.

Many thanks

Can the 5 years NISA only be done once?

Would even 10 years in the ideco be worth it?

Thanks