TransferWise Debit Card is out!

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Jake

Re: TransferWise Debit Card is out!

Post by Jake »

Tried my card in a restaurant yesterday, worked a treat. As mentioned already no PIN number necessary, probably because the amount wasn't too big.
Checked the phone app and the transaction was shown almost immediately.
This is a very useful and inexpensive way to use overseas funds.
sogun771

Post by sogun771 »

I personally haven't tried it but after looking into the FAQ it seems it is now possible to withdraw cash in Japan with the Wise debit card.

https://wise.com/help/articles/2935769? ... h-withdraw

**Japan and Singapore cardholders
If you got your debit card in Singapore , you won’t be able to use it to make ATM withdrawals in Singapore. But you’ll still be able to use your card to make payments in Singapore and around the world, and withdraw from ATMs overseas.

If you got your card in Japan , you might be able to use your card at these ATMs in Japan:

・AEON ・Family Mart ・Viewcard ・Daily Yamazaki

I believe this can only work for what Japan consider "International ATM".
Jake

Post by Jake »

Not sure it's been mentioned yet, so I just set up Paypay on my phone as it seems to be all the rage. Linked it to my Wise card and tested today. The default payment is Paypay credit naturally, but with a little fiddling I payed using my Wise account in the conbini. It works a treat.

GBP in my UK bank to the local conbini in minutes at seriously low cost. Spending money has never been so much fun :lol:

Initially there is a 5000 yen limit using a card this way, but after doing some security checks that can be raised. Not sure I'll need that at the conbini....