Simple Q&A - NISA

Jemineye
Regular

Re: Simple Q&A - NISA

Post by Jemineye »

Perhaps I have missed the thread but would anyone be able to point me in the direction of the thread or post with general information about the NISA in English. Me and my partner are complete newbies but while he can access the information quite readily in Japanese, I want to be able to fully understand what I’m getting into.
Butterball
Regular

Post by Butterball »

Jemineye wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:24 pm Perhaps I have missed the thread but would anyone be able to point me in the direction of the thread or post with general information about the NISA in English. Me and my partner are complete newbies but while he can access the information quite readily in Japanese, I want to be able to fully understand what I’m getting into.
A good start is the link on the sidebar of the main RetireJapan page: https://www.retirejapan.com/nisa/
and the retirewiki.jp page: https://retirewiki.jp/wiki/NISA (check the tsumitate NISA page too if that's what you're interested in)
Tkydon
Sensei

Post by Tkydon »

Merican wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:35 am
zeroshiki wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:01 am
Merican wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:45 am

Thank you Zanuhesu! It makes sense that it would be a gift tax (although I think gift tax is ridiculous between married couples, but that's a different issue). Can anyone else verify or point to any sources that confirm this? Would iDeCo also have no rules about contributing to spouse's accounts?
It should be fine as long as you're within the limit. SBI even recommends it
https://www.sbisec.co.jp/ETGate/WPLETmg ... ou_02.html
Thank you very much zeroshiki!
Your spouse (anyone) can receive gifts up to a total of Y1,100,000 free of Gift Tax in any Tax Year.
The next Y0 to Y2,000,000 would be taxable at 10%
and then rising rates...
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
Viralriver
Veteran

Post by Viralriver »

Quick question with the rollover. With NVDA, MSFT taking a pretty big hit in recent weeks I've been considering putting some of my NISA allocation into these direct stocks. In 5 years time if I were to rollover this NISA into, I guess the tsumitate NISA?, what would happen to these assets that can't be rolled over (i.e. non 投資信託 assets)?
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

You'll have to put them into your tokutei account since tsumitate only accepts mutual funds.
Viralriver
Veteran

Post by Viralriver »

zeroshiki wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:14 am You'll have to put them into your tokutei account since tsumitate only accepts mutual funds.
Got it - is there a perceived lesser benefit from doing this since the amount I'm rolling over would be less then? I.e. is it ideal to be able to roll-over everything?
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

Viralriver wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:13 am
zeroshiki wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:14 am You'll have to put them into your tokutei account since tsumitate only accepts mutual funds.
Got it - is there a perceived lesser benefit from doing this since the amount I'm rolling over would be less then? I.e. is it ideal to be able to roll-over everything?
Not really. The government wants to encourage people to do tsumitate/MFs but if you think going with individual stocks in NISA can get you better returns then you can do it. The rollover isn't really that important since you could just buy new MFs to put into your NISA for that year (rolling over uses up your allowance anyway)
Quark

Post by Quark »

Two quick questions re Rakuten Nisa (not T-NISA):
1. Why does it take forever for my orders to actually show up in my NISA? I tried "spot kounyuu" and it takes about a week? Am I doing something wrong?
2. If at all possible, I would like to set up regular purchases, once a month, for a fixed amount, so I can just forget about things for a bit. "Tsumitate kounyuu" is an option, I see, but can I use this (without T-NISA)? And does anyone have some advice on how to set this up?
Thank you for reading my admittedly basic questions, and I'd really appreciate some advice. Thanks a lot!
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

Quark wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:54 am Two quick questions re Rakuten Nisa (not T-NISA):
1. Why does it take forever for my orders to actually show up in my NISA? I tried "spot kounyuu" and it takes about a week? Am I doing something wrong?
2. If at all possible, I would like to set up regular purchases, once a month, for a fixed amount, so I can just forget about things for a bit. "Tsumitate kounyuu" is an option, I see, but can I use this (without T-NISA)? And does anyone have some advice on how to set this up?
Thank you for reading my admittedly basic questions, and I'd really appreciate some advice. Thanks a lot!
1. Depending on the fund, it takes time because the stocks/bonds need to be actually bought and balanced by the company (for example eMaxis or SBI). If you're looking for quick turnaround, you could purchase the ETF version of those funds but they're not recommended for various reasons I won't get into.
2. You can use Tsumitate chuumon on NISA. The process is exactly the same as on T-NISA. Tsumitate is a concept of monthly purchases, its not restricted to T-NISA (or even NISA in general, you can do it in a designated account). I use normal NISA and do tsumitate with no problems. You just need to be careful of your yearly NISA limit (1.2M in this case) since it will throw an error when/if you go over.
wpaladin
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by wpaladin »

Quark wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:54 am Two quick questions re Rakuten Nisa (not T-NISA):
2. To set this up, go to the page for the fund you want to purchase, and click on "積立注文". It's the button right next to the "spot kounyuu". In the purchase page, you'll see "口座の選択" close to the bottom, and it should have NISA as an option. This will give you regular purchases (積立) into your NISA account. Rakuten will not show you T-NISA as an option anyway since you only have a regular NISA account.